Help!need A Choc Buttercream Kids Like

Decorating By dee-lite Updated 28 May 2008 , 10:15pm by VannaD

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 4

Help-I made the wilton crisco buttercream recipe and used the cocoa as they say to make it chocolate -both of my kids spit it out and say it is horrible(Idid use butter flav and van flav) The problem is it is not sweet ()too cocoa-ey. This is for a furry (star tip) werewolf cake so can't be too creamy...Any body know how to make this sweet?

3 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 4

I like the Hershey's Chocolate buttercream on the back of the cocoa container- dark and sweet. Use less of the milk to keep it a bit thicker and it will work for fur.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 4

here's a couple of recipes.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 3 tablespoons cocoa
* 1/4 cup butter
* 2 tablespoons heavy cream
* vanilla

PREPARATION:
In a mixing bowl, cream confectioners' sugar, cocoa, and butter. Beat in heavy cream and vanilla. Add small amounts hot water or hot black coffee until desired spreading consistency is reached.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound bittersweet chocolate
12 ounces semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup egg whites (4 to 5 extra-large eggs), at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 teaspoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 1/2 teaspoons water
3 tablespoons dark rum, optional

Chop the chocolates and place them in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan simmering water. Stir until melted and set aside until cooled to room temperature.

Mix the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Place the bowl of egg whites over the pan of simmering water and heat the egg whites until they are warm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Return the bowl to the electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 5 minutes, or until the meringue is cool and holds a stiff peak.

Add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, while beating on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl, add the melted chocolate, vanilla, espresso, and rum, if using, and mix for 1 minute or until the chocolate is completely blended in. If the buttercream seems very soft, allow it to cool, and beat it again.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 4

i use the recipe off of CC its called New Crisco Buttercream (calls for the 0 trans fat crisco) i just add cocoa to it, i believe on that recipe it even tells you how much cocoa to make it taste right. im not sure if it calls for it but i also use merinque powder, lots and lots of merinque powder, but of course im in south louisiana, you may not need to

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%