How Do I Do This??

Decorating By anku Updated 29 May 2008 , 12:18am by DianeLM

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 6

I have got an order to do this " Charm city cake" I have not much experience with carved cakes.
Can anybody please tell me how should I go about doing this cake??

http://www.charmcitycakes.com/index2.html

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

Which cake?

anku Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 6

Oops! In Fun Stuff its called" Guiness"

Thanks!

DianeLM Posted 28 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 6

That's simply a tapered cake. The following instructions are for the beer pail cake in my gallery, which is exactly the same shape.

Tapered Beer Pail Cake

The beer pail is 3 10-inch layers. You don't necessarily have to dowel - I've done it both ways. If you don't dowel, be prepared for your pieces to be VERY tall. Otherwise, you can either torte the middle tier and dowel the cake in half, or, place a plate and dowels under the top layer only.

Before you add boards, you'll need to taper the cake. If you're using a filling other than buttercream, you'll need to taper the layers before adding the filling. If you're filling with buttercream, go ahead and fill and stack the 3 layers. If you're using another filling, place one or two small (less than 8") cardboard cakeboards between the layers. These will mimic the space that will later be taken by your filling.

Place the cake on a 10-inch cakeboard. Elevate the cake on a small cake pan and place the whole thing inside a large pan to catch your trimmings. I put a piece of non-skid mat under the cake and under the elevating pan. Place an 8-inch cakeboard on top of the cake.

With a serrated knife, longer than the height of your cake, use the cakeboards as a guide to trim and make your taper shape. Make sure the knife is always touching BOTH cakeboards at all times so you don't accidentally cut too much off in the middle.

This is the time to add your filling, if necessary. Remove the 8-inch board, separate the layers, add the filling. Replace the layers. You might need to do a little trimming to even it all out.

Flip the cake over and there you have it!

anku Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you Diane so much. I plan on using Chocolate ganache. Can I carve it with the filling or do you suggest I fill it after the carving?
Also, Can I work with 8" and 6". I mean have 3 8" round cakes instead of 10" like you suggested and carve with 6" board on top??

The client doesn't want a very big cake. What do you suggest?

Anku

DianeLM Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #6 of 6

Anku, since you don't really need a dam, you can fill your cake with ganache before carving. That's exactly how I did my copper beer tub cake.

You can certainly use any size cake you'd like. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can drive a couple of sharpened dowels all the way through the cake and into the base board to stabilize it during transport. Especially if you're not going to chill the cake. Warm cakes tend to be a little more wobbly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%