How Long Will Mmf Stay Fresh (On A Cake)?

Decorating By allee Updated 28 May 2008 , 8:17pm by allee

allee Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a cake for my DS baseball team's party which is on Friday. I am doing a sheet cake w/a FBCT of their "logo" and then putting a replica of their baseball hat and a baseball on the cake. I am planning on covering the hat and ball with MMF. Is tonight too early to cover them? I have made the hat/ball cakes and they are wrapped in saran wrap in the fridge, but I am not baking the sheet cake until tomorrow morning, then icing and adding the other 2 cakes, the FBCT and the rest of the details. I'm just afraid that the MMF will dry out too much before Friday. The party is @ 4:00 p.m.. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

4 replies
CristinaB Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 5

It will be fine. If you're using buttercream under it, it will stay nice and soft. I've covered cakes with MMF 2 days in advance and they've been great. I've enjoyed the leftovers afterward and it's stayed perfect, soft and tasty even days later! Yum!

Good luck!

allee Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 5

Oh, thank you so much! I am really anxious to get the ball and hat done since there is more detail to them than the actual sheet cake, but I another cake and 2 dz cupcakes for Sat., that I need to get started on Fri. morning and I was worried that I would run out of time, lol! I'm excited and on my way to the kitchen. Thanks again!

CristinaB Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 5

Glad to help! Isn't time management tough when it comes to baking? It's hard to know how long things will take and how far in advanced you can make them. I've learned mostly from experimenting.

If you think of it, and you're willing to share, I'd love it if you'd PM me a picture of your cake! I'm making a baseball theme groom's cake in June for my cousin's wedding. I'll be doing the hat, ball, and many features from Fenway Park too (including the famous Citgo sign and them sitting on the green monster)! I have it all planned out already, so I'm not fretting too much at the moment. I do have to drive it to Maryland, so that's the part I'm most concerned about!

I'm sure yours will come out great! Have fun!

allee Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5

I sure will! I like to plan ahead too, then I get anxious waiting for time to put it all together. I am so afraid that I will do it too early and it will dry out. Good luck with the stadium. I did a Yankee stadium last year for my fiance. A friend of my daughters saw it and now wants one. I am sure I will fret over that too! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%