Milk Vs. Sour Cream

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 29 May 2008 , 5:25pm by 2sweetcookies

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 7

Milk vs. sour cream

Can someone please explain the difference / end result / benefits of using one over the other
Thanks

6 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 7

Sour cream adds fat content to your cake, and can make a cake very tender. Since it is slightly acidic, it can help react with the baking power, and make a lighter cake. If you already have quite a bit butter in your cake, the cake could get a little too delicate. I've made a butter cookie recipe with sour cream, and it was very, very tender and light.

Milk is also great, and makes a tender cake, and milk can replace water one to one in most baking recipes.

One issue is cost: sour cream is more expensive than milk (at least where I am).

Hope this helps!

2sweetcookies Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 7

thanks, so one more question then, what is the best sour cream? I was making a chocolate recipe and it was turning out dry at times then I realized those were the times I was using a generic brand.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 7

Using Buttermilk or milk soured with some vinegar has the same effect, I always use the latter

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 7

I use sour cream in whatever brand is available. I've not noticed a difference in the brands.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 7

The whole-fat version of sour cream adds more tenderness to a cake (fat=tenderness=calories).

If you use milk and vinegar that allows some tenderness, but will not boost the fat content as much. A T of sour cream has nearly as many calories as a cup of skim milk.

To save calories, use milk (or water), but, if you're wanting smaller slices anyway, sour cream can help make a cake moister, more tender, etc. It is all a balance between fats, sugars, and leavening at the molecular level.
At a certain point, too much fat will cause a cake to fall apart.

Hope this helps!

2sweetcookies Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 7

ok thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%