What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Chrisi Updated 29 May 2008 , 1:25pm by veejaytx

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 8

I have used MMF when I loved in Duluth, MN. It worked like a dream. I love the stuff. Then moved out to Flagstaff, AZ. It is very sticky here in AZ(we went from humid weather to dry heat) Once on the cake I get multiple air pockets. It doesn't drape smoothly. All in all, the cake looks like a 4 year old did it. icon_cry.gif I have pulled the MMF off the cake and smoothed the frosting on the cake. Kneaded the MMF, added more powdered sugar. Rolled it out to about 1/4 inch thick, and tried covering it again. But dang it!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I get the same results. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyone in the area (mainly AZ) who uses MMF? I could really use some pointers.

Aside from that what other type of fondant is there...Satin Ice, Choco Pan,& Wilton icon_rolleyes.gif .
Is there anything else?

7 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 8

Can't help with the MMF, but I bought 10 lbs of Fondx yesterday and paid $40 with delivery... www.caljavaonline.com

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 8

There's also Fondx and Pettinice that you can buy OR you can try making Michele Foster's fondant or Toba Garrett's fondant.

I use Satin Ice myself and I like it. It's really soft though.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 8

I live in Phoenix (Ahwatukee) and make mmf as well. I haven't had any problems with air pockets.

I don't know what recipe you use, but I just use the standard 16 oz bag of mm, 2 Tbsp water, but instead of the full package of ps, I just use 6 cups when using the dough hook on my KA and knead in another cup by hand.

Are you giving it enough time to rest before you roll it out? Could you be over-kneading it?

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #5 of 8

Is there a difference in the recipe when you use MM fluff? That's the one I've been using. Maybe I'll give the bag of MM just for kicks.

Thanks

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:56am
post #6 of 8

when making mmf you have to let it rest for 24 hours. it's easier to work with after it has had time to sit.

here is an article on mmf. scroll down a bit to get to the article.
hope this helps.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisi

Is there a difference in the recipe when you use MM fluff? That's the one I've been using. Maybe I'll give the bag of MM just for kicks.

Thanks

I don't make fondant so I've zero expertise on this, but doesn't mm fluff have a lot of air whipped into it? could that be a contributing factor?

I've no idea ... just asking based on seeing the ingredients.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 8

I don't care for the MMF made with the fluff, I can never get it to the right consistency. I think you are right, indydebi, there is a lot of air whipped in and it is sticky-gooey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%