Rice Krispies Covered In Fondant

Decorating By dshlent Updated 28 May 2008 , 7:01pm by Juds2323

dshlent Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 5

I am making feet out of rice krispies and then covering them with fondant... I know I can make my rice krispies in advance but how far in advance can i cover them with fondant??? Also what is the best way to store them?? do you just seal them in a reclosable bag, refrigerate???

Thanks!!!!

~Heather

4 replies
cakesbybert Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 5

Really don't think it will matter how far in advance you cover the rk in fondant. I have done it several days in advance of needing it for a cake with no problems. To store I would just put in a reclosable bag - basically just to keep free of dust, etc. Or in a cake box. No need to refrigerate. Refrigeration will more than likely cause condensation issues with moisture with our lovely Kansas weather.

dshlent Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks!!!! Yeah... Kansas weather!!! Ugh...

Baking4Fun Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 5

I am getting ready to try this method for the first time, Thanks for the post I had the same questions. A couple more though, maybe you all can help? Do you make your shape (I'm making a hand) then just cover in Fondant or maybe I read somewhere that you cover first in Buttercream so it will smooth it out before the fondant? If not, how do you get the smooth look?.. maybe make your fondant a little thicker before you cover? Thanks for the help?

Juds2323 Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

some people crush the rice cereal before making it so the cereal is in smaller pieces and more smooth finished product. When I did mine I didn't know about it. I did ice it first so that it would fill in some of the gaps. (The baseball on my baseball cake is RKT). then covered in a fairly thick piece of fondant.

HTH

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%