Red Buttercream

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 28 May 2008 , 4:07pm by tiggy2

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone give me some suggestions to get a really red buttercream for decorations. I have 3 projects that need this and have not been able to get it as red as I want.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Hummingbird59

4 replies
Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 5

It takes a LOT of red color...........sometimes almost a whole bottle, depending on how much you're tinting. It is easier for me if I tint it pink first. Also, I think the powdered icing color works WAY better.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

Americolor super red gel color - works great. I used it for any of the red on the cakes in my gallery. And you do not need to use large amounts of it to get true red, even starting from white BC.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for asking hummingbird, I have a true red cake for Saturday...wondering same thing! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 5

Chefmaster liqua gel is the best for red & black. It doesn't have to sit over night to become dark red and it doesn't take very much. They are very vibrant colors.

Got this off of www.bakedeco.com website

"Chefmaster is a leading manufacturer of food colors preferred by master decorators for over 50 years
"Liqua-Gel Food Color is formulated with the concentration of Gel or Paste colors, and packaged in a convenient squeeze bottle with a color coded cap
Easy mixing
Freeze tolerant
Formulated for Whipped Toppings and Buttercreme Icings
Fade and Bleed Resistant
Will not break down icings
Easy Clean up"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%