Talk To Me About "blowouts"!!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 29 May 2008 , 6:53pm by vdrsolo

MissRobin Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 6

Last weekend was my daughter's wedding and of course I did the cake. However, I have never had such trouble in my life, I was so devastated and distraught with the problems, I literallly worked for three solid days for more than 12 hours a day. Here is the issue. It was a five tier fondant covered cake, I used Satin Ice fondant and the cake tiers that gave me the most trouble were my red velvet that I used the crusting cream cheese recipe off of this site and then covered with fondant. After covering the two red velvet tiers with fondant, I refrigerated them and the next morning I got up and I had a huge bulge in both tiers, I had to recover one of them three times with fondant. It was so upsetting I felt so much like a failure, I cried and screamed and shook, it was awful. I finally got it together and finished the cake, it was fine but I was a wreck. In the course of the whole disaster, I forgot to take a picture so I have to wait for the photographers pictures and then I will post a pic for you to see. Everyone said it was beautiful but honestly I was just devastated by all the problems. Do you ever wonder why you even try to decorate cakes, I sure did at that point I felt like giving up forever. Any insight on what might have caused my problems???????

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

bulging fondant is often from one or two things, too much filling, or cake that is too soft to support the weight.

I last used the Red Velvet from Confetti Cakes and got a good sturdy cake.

jsmith Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

It's also because your cake was cold when you covered it with fondant. The cake needs to be at room temp. before I cover it in fondant and then I don't have problems with blowouts. (at least here in the south because going from a refrigerator to a humid 80 degrees causes major condensation). If the cake has a semi perishable filling like cream cheese, (I won't put something like whip cream in a fondant covered cake), I'll refrigerate it after I cover it with fondant and I have about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before a bubble starts to form if it's going to. So I just try to set it up as close to the wedding as possible and it usually makes it to the cutting.

vdrsolo Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 6

I'm so sorry this happened to you, you had enough stress being the mother of the bride!!

I too, think it was the condensation building up and causing the bubble. I don't use any perishable fillings in my wedding cakes. For a cream cheese buttercream, I just mix the sleeved cream cheese filling with my buttercream. Tastes great, and no refrigeration required!

MissRobin Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your input!! I made a wedding cake in October for some people and a couple of the tiers were red velvet, and I sure don't remember having this problem. Joanne, would you share the confetti cakes recipe with me? I have a cake next week for some people, a small wedding cake (two tiers), one of which they have requested red velvet, URGH!!! What Icing do you all recommend for the red velvet, I can't imagine anything other than cream cheese. One more question, when filling your layers, do you dam with something other than the cream cheese, such as a stiffened buttercream? This whole experience really made me feel inadequate!!!

vdrsolo Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Thanks everyone for your input!! I made a wedding cake in October for some people and a couple of the tiers were red velvet, and I sure don't remember having this problem. Joanne, would you share the confetti cakes recipe with me? I have a cake next week for some people, a small wedding cake (two tiers), one of which they have requested red velvet, URGH!!! What Icing do you all recommend for the red velvet, I can't imagine anything other than cream cheese. One more question, when filling your layers, do you dam with something other than the cream cheese, such as a stiffened buttercream? This whole experience really made me feel inadequate!!!

I make red velvet all the time for wedding tiers. I'm not much of a red velvet fan so I made several red velvet cakes, both from scratch, and several variations of doctored mixes, and let a red velvet lover test it. She picked a doctored DH Red Velvet mix (she doesn't know that though!). I tried all the recipes from here, plus others, PM me if you want the recipe.

I torte all my layers, and use cream cheese icing (cream cheese sleeved filling + buttercream), and then use regular icing on the outside. They still get plenty of the cream cheese icing taste when doing this. I also still use a stiffened buttercream dam around the edge instead of the cream cheese buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%