Cake & Pastry Flour Vs All Purpose?

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 28 May 2008 , 8:56pm by bevyd

Kay_NL Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 7

What does everybody here use? What is the difference (besides price)? Do many people use a combination of both?

6 replies
courtney1009 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 7

I like cake flour the best.... although I've never tried pastry flour for a cake only a pie crust. I think cake flour just takes the cake from being okay to great. In my opinion it's a much better texture.

leah_s Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 7

Flours really are not interchangeable for best results. If your recipe calls for cake flour, use it. Ditto AP flour. I use pastry flour, when I think about it, only for piecrusts.

onceuponacake Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 7

iIf it calls for cake flour then use cake flour. cake flour is more expensive.
the difference in the flours is the amount of gluten they contain..bread flour has the most cake flour the least

courtney1009 Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 7

If a recipe calls for ap flour you can still use cake flour just for every cup of ap flour do 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of cake flour. It says so on the box. I do it all the time and I've only had a problem with one cake. Which is a pretty good track record since I bake every day and I"m always trying out new recipes.

superstar Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 7

I do like cake flour, it seems to give the cake a finer texture, or maybe that is just my imagination.

bevyd Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 7

I use either cake flour or all purpose, depending on the recipe, I don't have any that require pastry flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%