Anyone Ever Heard Of Rolled Buttercream?

Baking By cfxwife Updated 28 May 2008 , 6:52am by JanH

cfxwife Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 8

Hi new to this website. Been baking cakes for family for years, just started this year to sell cakes. I once found a cake decorating book that was about rolled buttercream, used like fondant, but better tasting. Didn't buy the book, now I can't find the recipe anywhere. Maybe I dreamed it. Can anyone help?!

7 replies
debster Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

I use the recipes from here for the regular rolled buttercream and the chocolate rolled buttercream. Both are GREAT................

http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/icing/index.php

TantalizingTreats Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 8

Hi cfxwife

I have heard of rolled fondant and someone gave me the recipe... never tried though, made the marshmallow fondant and fell in love. But if you try the rolled fondant let me know how it is. okay here it is, hope it makes sense, i am just copying and pasting it.

Rolled Buttercream

1 cup Karo light corn syrup
1 cup Crisco
1/2 tsp popcorn salt
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 lbs powdered sugar

Mix it all together, it gets pretty thick. I don't have a commercial mixer so I usually finish it up by taking it out of the bowl and kneading it like bread dough. Then wrap it up and put it in the fridge for an hour or so. It's easier to work with when its cool because the heat from your hands really softens it quick. To get it onto the cookies, lay down a piece of parchment paper, put some powdered sugar on it, tear off a piece of icing and put it on the powdered sugar, then put more powdered sugar and cover it with another piece of parchment paper. Then roll it out to about the thickness you would for fondant. It kind of sticks to the paper some and stretches real easy, that's why all the extra powdered sugar. I usually will start rolling it, then flip it and peel up the paper and add more sugar then roll some more. All the extra sugar doesn't really make a difference, but you need it to not be stuck to be able to get it onto the cookie. Anyway, when you have it rolled out to the thickness you want, just use the same cookie cutter you made the cookies with to make the shape you need. Then brush your cookie with a little Karo, and pick up the icing and lay it on the cookie and gently press down to seal it to the cookie. (The karo acts like glue) Since it is really stretchy when its thin like that, I usually pick up the whole edge of the paper and kind of flip the shape into my hand instead of trying to peel up just the icing. Then, let the cookies sit for a little while to kind of dry it a little before you bag them, or you can let them sit for a while, then dust them with a little more powdered sugar to absorb any excess oil on the icing and then use the Royal icing to write or do designs or whatever on them. If you don't dust them first, the royal icing will fall off when it dries. Then you can bag them when it's dry. I use it with the No-fail sugar cookie recipe because those cookies are a little like shortbread (not very sweet) and the icing is really sweet and it they kind of make a happy medium. Anyway, I hope this all made sense.

After breezing through it i hope that is what your looking for, or able to use on cake.

TantalizingTreats Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #4 of 8

Hi cfxwife

I have heard of rolled fondant and someone gave me the recipe... never tried though, made the marshmallow fondant and fell in love. But if you try the rolled fondant let me know how it is. okay here it is, hope it makes sense, i am just copying and pasting it.

Rolled Buttercream

1 cup Karo light corn syrup
1 cup Crisco
1/2 tsp popcorn salt
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 lbs powdered sugar

Mix it all together, it gets pretty thick. I don't have a commercial mixer so I usually finish it up by taking it out of the bowl and kneading it like bread dough. Then wrap it up and put it in the fridge for an hour or so. It's easier to work with when its cool because the heat from your hands really softens it quick. To get it onto the cookies, lay down a piece of parchment paper, put some powdered sugar on it, tear off a piece of icing and put it on the powdered sugar, then put more powdered sugar and cover it with another piece of parchment paper. Then roll it out to about the thickness you would for fondant. It kind of sticks to the paper some and stretches real easy, that's why all the extra powdered sugar. I usually will start rolling it, then flip it and peel up the paper and add more sugar then roll some more. All the extra sugar doesn't really make a difference, but you need it to not be stuck to be able to get it onto the cookie. Anyway, when you have it rolled out to the thickness you want, just use the same cookie cutter you made the cookies with to make the shape you need. Then brush your cookie with a little Karo, and pick up the icing and lay it on the cookie and gently press down to seal it to the cookie. (The karo acts like glue) Since it is really stretchy when its thin like that, I usually pick up the whole edge of the paper and kind of flip the shape into my hand instead of trying to peel up just the icing. Then, let the cookies sit for a little while to kind of dry it a little before you bag them, or you can let them sit for a while, then dust them with a little more powdered sugar to absorb any excess oil on the icing and then use the Royal icing to write or do designs or whatever on them. If you don't dust them first, the royal icing will fall off when it dries. Then you can bag them when it's dry. I use it with the No-fail sugar cookie recipe because those cookies are a little like shortbread (not very sweet) and the icing is really sweet and it they kind of make a happy medium. Anyway, I hope this all made sense.

After breezing through it i hope that is what your looking for, or able to use on cake.

debster Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #5 of 8

I use the recipes from here for the regular rolled buttercream and the chocolate rolled buttercream. Both are GREAT................

http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/icing/index.php

Dru329 Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8

OM goodness...I had been wondering what "rolled buttercream" was. Glad I saw this post.. Thanks ladies for the recipes! icon_smile.gif

cfxwife Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #7 of 8

Thank you both so much. If my memory serves me right those recipes are exactly what I was looking for. I am going to try them and let you know. Thanks again.

JanH Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:52am
post #8 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, cfxwife. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about RBC:
(Includes recipes not found elsewhere as well as comparisons to MMF on cakes and cookies and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-221681-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584741-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%