Crumbs In Outer Layer Of Icing

Decorating By bri_sanford Updated 28 May 2008 , 11:25pm by bri_sanford

bri_sanford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bri_sanford Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #1 of 7

OKay, so first, I don't use the all shortening version of buttercream. That may be my problem, but I LOVE buttercream with part butter in it. It is part butter part crisco.

That said, I do a crumb icing, let it sit for a while, but I cannot ever prevent from having crumbs in the top layer unless I freeze it with the crumb icing on it first.
I made a cake for Mother's day. My family raved, but it had little brown specks in the pretty pink icing. icon_sad.gif

Also, do you know if this type of BC will crust and do the VIVA thing? I think it's too soft, but I figured I'd ask.
Thanks.
Bri

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 7

What's the recipe you use? That may help someone answer your question.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

Your outer icing is probably a bit too stiff. Once the crumb coat is chilled, the outer icing should not pick up additional crumbs.

Try adding a bit more moisture.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

I have use half butter and half shortening. I also have been using coffee creamer mixed in hot water (from sugarshack receipe) I have been able to get this to crust. I usually add a little extra powder sugar (extra cup or two) and more moisture. My understanding is that the crusting comes from the fat/sugar ratio. I agree I like the butter versus just butter flavoring.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltoklahoma

I have use half butter and half shortening. I also have been using coffee creamer mixed in hot water (from sugarshack receipe) I have been able to get this to crust. I usually add a little extra powder sugar (extra cup or two) and more moisture. My understanding is that the crusting comes from the fat/sugar ratio. I agree I like the butter versus just butter flavoring.

That is correct....the crusting does come from the fat/sugar ratio.

For a buttercream containing real butter, I use 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening to 1lb powdered sugar. It is a crusting icing but you have plenty of time to work with it to smooth it out.

For non butter buttercream, I use 6oz (almost a full cup, a full cup is 7oz) shortening to 1lb powdered sugar ratio.

The more sugar you use....the faster the crusting. Some people even use 1/2cup shortening to 1lb powdered sugar but I have personally found this crusts way too much and too fast for me, especially when working with the larger bottom tier of the cake, it starts crusting before I'm icing.

One other thing..are you covering the cake after you crumb coat? Covering it up keeps the icing moist and does not allow it to crust.

Applying your final coat of icing very thick and then taking off with a bench scraper helps too. Always make sure that when you apply your icing you never "lift" straight off of the cake, always pull your spatula off at a side angle to prevent the icing from lifting off.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

ditto what was said above... judging from the pics you posted, the icing on the bottom tier is not very thick (you can see cake) and that is most likely your problem. I crumb coat so that mostly all you see is icing & crumbs, but not real thick. let that sit anywhere from 15 minutes to over night depending on who much more work I have on it. then i thin my remaining bc a little bit so it will glide on and put it on thick.. its easier to take off excess if you go too thick than it is to cover up crumbs if you go to thin. also, i NEVER refridge after the crumb coat unless i have a perishable filling (which i almost NEVER do).

HTH

bri_sanford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bri_sanford Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much. That makes sense. icon_smile.gif I will try that this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%