How Do I Make Nfsc "neater"???

Baking By SueW Updated 28 May 2008 , 5:48pm by millicente

SueW Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

Please help, I have made many batches of NFSC with RI and I love to decorate cookies. My problem is I feel like they are so messy looking. If I knew how to post the ones sitting on my counter in the thread I would icon_cry.gif My outlines looks messy, my lines look crooked and I just don't know how to change that. I try to work slowly and I thought over time I'd get better but it doesn't happen.

so my question is, how do I get "clean" lines and make my cookies look neater. I'd like to try w/o an outline but I dont' know how. how do you NOT outline???? Thanks! I have more to do tonight

4 replies
bonniebakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

SueW - I looked at some of your cookies, and I think you are being a bit hard on yourself! They're not bad at all! We are our own worst critics icon_biggrin.gif

It really does take time and practice. My cookies still arent' where I want them to be, but I can see a huge difference in the cookies that I made over the past couple of months compared with ones that I made prior to that.

The key to not "outlining" is to have the icing at the exact perfect consistency - not so "loose" that it will go over the edge, but "loose" enough that the "outline' and fill-in will blend together. I pipe an "outline" around the endge, then fill in right away witht he same consistency icing, and you don't see a "line" from teh outline.

I use a royal icing for mine, not a glase, so I'm not sure how it will work with Toba's glase....

Honestly, just keep practicing and try out various consistencies, icings, and methods. You will get better!!

just_desserts Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 5

I also don't outline mine. As bonniebakes stated I use my RI at just the right constistency & outline & fill immediately. I let one color "set up" before I add another color unless I want to blend the colors. I use the Wilton squeeze bottles for my RI.
They work great & I just store the left-over in the bottles & just "squeeze" the bottles (Or as I say "massage")them to get the icing blended back together.

cookingfor5 Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 5

Sue, it gets better over time, but here are a few suggestions I got from this site that have really helped me. First, do you flatten your cookies as soon as they come out of the over? That gives you a flat surface to work with. Next, everyone is right about the consistency. My icing is a combination of glaze and royal. I only use 2 tbsp. of meringue powder, 2 tbsp of corn syrup, a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar and add water as needed. Like royal icing, I mix it for at least 5 minutes to allow the meringue to thicken like egg whites. Then I add more water as I need. I wish I had pics on here to show you, but i add them to flickr now just because it is easier.

millicente Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 5

I agree
I looked at your work too.They are beautiful. I'm not that good yet.You need to stop tripping(Great work) just keep it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%