Stacked Books ..?

Decorating By catin Updated 28 May 2008 , 7:13pm by Sarsi

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 11

I've been seeing so many stacked books Grad cakes lately in the gallery. I am making a stacked book Grad Cake for my daughter ( graduating the 8th grade) and though on making one for my youngest that is graduating Senior Kindergarden as well . I was just curious to find out how the covers are made ... they all look so perfect and straight ... Is it Fondant ? How thick should it be rolled out?

10 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 11

i was just about to ask the same thing. icon_eek.gif
my son is graduating from high school and i want to make several book cakes.
hope someone can help us. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #3 of 11

Did you all happen to see the new grad stack of books cake uploaded not to long ago today? It was for a up and coming pharmacist

catin Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 11

Yes I have seen the new posted one about the up and coming pharmacist ... That is why I'm asking ... It rose my curiosity cause its done so perfectly .... icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:26am
post #5 of 11

lol oh ok icon_smile.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 11

What I did for my stacked books is I made two sheet cakes. Then I cover them in fondant and cut out the fondant where the pages would be. Then I iced the pages in butter cream ans used a comb so make pages. Some people wrap the fondant around the whole cake with the fondant underneath the board. But I was worried that the board would tear my fondant so I didnt put mine under.
Hope this helps. You can see my cake in my pictures.
Jen...

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:39am
post #7 of 11

I did a stacked books cake. I wrapped the entire "book" in fondant, because I didn't think to just add a strip of fondant for the bottom edge. For the pages I put in a piece of white fondant that I ran a pizza cutter over to get the page look.

wgoat5 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #8 of 11

If I can remember people talking about this.. they actually wrap the cake boards with the fondant.. like it would be fondant covered board... cake ... fondant covered board... then they added the "pages" and some used the pizza cutter to do the lines making sure not to go all the way through..

I'd love to do one of these!!!

catin Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:05am
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much everyone !!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11

I made my first book cake by covering the whole thing in fondant, but if I was going to do it again I would do it like Michelle Bommarito does it. what she does is carve out the indentation for the pages before covering the cake. Then she covers it like a regular cake, pressing the fondant into the indentations. Then she adds the pages into the indentation. Quicker, easier and uses less fondant. Here's a pic of the cake where she does this: http://www.michellebommarito.com/images/cakes/wedding/large/v/books.jpg

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 11

Check this thread out... has all the info you're looking for icon_biggrin.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587141.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%