Help! Any Creative Ideas For A Cake Topper For 2 Men?

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 28 May 2008 , 7:08pm by toodlesjupiter

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 20

My uncle is marrying his boyfriend next month and I'm doing the cake. He wants a black and white cake with something signifying 2 grooms, but I was hoping for something more creative than the little groom toppers you buy. Any ideas anyone? TIA!

19 replies
aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 20

what about the rainbow or 2 interlocking circles with the arrows make out of fondant or gumpaste.

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 20

Does it have to signify two MEN, or can it signify two lives? How about two interlocking wedding rings with each other's name "engraved" on the inside of them.
Just a thought. That's a tough one....good luck! thumbs_up.gif

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 20

how about a rainbow with 2 interlocking hearts...in the center...with a champagne glass at each end of the rainbow...you could also put 2 gold bands on the hearts...

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 20

what about their initials on top of the cake?

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 20

What about two black top hats? Could even put initials on the top hats for their first names. Depends on how formal the ceremony is...but would look cool on a black and white cake.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 20

You could make the 2 little grooms out of fondant or gp.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 20

I think the Monogram topper would be very classy on a black and white cake, plus you can add cherry blossoms or calla lilies. Just cause they are men doesn't mean they don't appreciate beauty and style! icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 20

There's a market out there....
http://www.twogrooms.com/browse.asp?cat=10

Seriously, if you don't mind doing gay weddings, you could market to that community. You might get a lot of business, because many are hesitant to go to potential bakers who are "offended" by that request.

Apologies if you've seen the link already.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 20

It depends on them...if they are forward or classy.. Monograms would be more classy.. Two grooms is more forward..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #11 of 20

You might try one of these symbols (ie. the last two pictured) --either incorporated into the design or made into a gumpaste topper.

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 20

Wow! (Finally, it's letting me post a reply. Anyone else having trouble with the site?) Thanks for all the wonderful ideas guys! I would much rather do something like the monograms, but he specifically asked for 2 grooms, and it's their wedding. I'm going to run all of these ideas past them and see if any jump out at them. I really like the 2 top hats with their initials, or maybe 2 tuxedos. Something to go with the black and white theme. I'm not sure if my modeling skills are good enough to try the fondant grooms. This is also my first wedding cake... yikes! Anyway, all of the ideas are awesome! I'll let you know what they decide!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 20

What are their initials? If they work, you might be able to get them to interlink, which would look cool and hopefully wouldn't be too complex. They have some double groom toppers online (probably pretty hard to do tho) and an interlinking heart, which is so cute but maybe too 'girly' for what you are looking for.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 20

Here's a fun idea using two personalized groom cookies that I did this winter. The grooms sent me photos of themselves and what they'd be wearing. I made them into cookies on sticks as the topper and they LOVED it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1174824

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 20

antonia, all your work is lovely...but this is really so awesome! The ties crack me up!! icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks! icon_lol.gif

Here are simpler wedding cookie favours I did for 2 grooms too:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=8582

icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #17 of 20

CakeDiva- Thanks for the ideas. their initials are S and O, so I think that would work. You saw double groom toppers online? Were they something I could make? And, yeah, I think the hearts are cool, but may be too girly.

Antonia- Your cookies are awesome as usual. I'm definitely going to run that by them and see what they think! i love that idea, and I'm decent at cookies, so I would feel comfortable doing those.

I will run everyone's ideas by them... you guys are all so creative! Thank you all for your input. I can always come here when I'm stuck!

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 20

Dawncr- Thanks for the link, I did see it once before when i was looking for ideas, but forgot where it was. I like your idea about doing cakes for same sex couples, though I am not licensed yet, so it would have to be word of mouth, for friends/family. I am definitely never "offended" by anyone's sexual orientation, but sadly, I know that there are still many people who are. Anyway... Thanks for the ideas!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #19 of 20

I do lots of gay weddings. I market myself heavily to the gay community, and the weekend the Rainbow Parade is in town I do over-the-top displays with homo toppers, both figures I've modelled myself and purchased toppers. The parade goes right down the street my shop is on, so that's good exposure for me.

I love those cookies! They tickled me right slap to death!

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #20 of 20

Chutzpah-
That's a cool way to market yourself! Do you have any pics of your toppers? By the way, love your signature and location!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%