Too Much Communication...

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 28 May 2008 , 6:49pm by chutzpah

sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 6

Do you get these people who order their cakes months in advance, which is great, I don't mind, but then they feel like they need to call or email or message you at least once a week or if they don't hear from you every week they start "getting worried". I have repeatedly reassured these clients that I have never had anyone show up to pick up a cake and not have what they wanted. I have also explained that with three kids, a home, a husband, and a cake career, I am exceptionally busy and that once their cake is ordered, they're booked and I always touch base with everyone a few days before hand.

Why is it that they feel that they need to contact me EVERY WEEK? And is it just me, or do more of you deal with these. Cuz it seems I get a lot!!!

5 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 6

Ooooh, I have one of those people! A phone call EVERY DAY! I charge her a lot, haha. Fortunately, she only has one child so I only get orders from her once or twice a year. By this time, she has learned to trust me if I tell her she won't like a particular idea she's come up with and she is gradually starting to unclench and let me do my thang. It only took four years. icon_smile.gif

On the bright side, she recently gave me a gift of one of those dual-sided turntables ($55!) that I'd been wanting. Patience is a virtue, LOL.

indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

WHat are they asking when they call? What are they wanting YOU to report? That you THOUGHT about their cake today? icon_confused.gif Oh wait .... I forgot to factor in that you have NOTHING ELSE TO DO but sit around and worry about the ONE cake order that you'll ever take in your lifetime! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I've had people ask about their cakes and I just tell 'em, "Look, I'm not even thinking about your cake until about a week prior to delivery. I finish my Saturday wedding(s), then on Sunday I pull my orders for the next week and start making my shopping lists and buying supplies for those cakes. If your cake is due (for example) Saturday June 15th, then I won't even look at your order until Monday, June 9th."

I've only had to do this about twice.

Ask them if they are so worried about it, then would it make them feel better if you baked it now? 3 weeks ahead of time? icon_confused.gif Making them sign a liablity release for stale cake, of course!! icon_lol.gif

1234me Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 6

I have a few customers who do it too and it drives me crazy. I have one customer right now who has already ordered 5 cakes for the next couple of months for different occasions and she has never even had a cake made by me. She has sent me a napkin to replicate for a baby shower she is giving in September - who plans a shower that early?

sarahnichole975 Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 6

lol@ debi....EXACTLY!!!! I've tried to explain that I have so much going on on a week to week basis, that I can only deal with that week. And honestly, it's usually a "I just want to make sure everythings good for the cake." Well, uh, duh, didn't I tell you I gotcha booked and I'll touch base with you the week before to make sure all the loose ends are tied up. You're right, I should ask (one client popping in mind now) if she'd like me to go ahead and get it done now and she could freeze it until the end of June.

And Wendy, I've got the same thing. People see a cake and find out how far in advance I fill up, so they check their calendar and book book book. Which I am by no means complaining about, I love looking at my calendar and seeing every weekend through October has at least one order. But then don't expect contact from me every week or two from now till your shower in OCTOBER!!!

chutzpah Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6

I can't remember the cakes I did last weekend, and I don't know what's up for next week (unless I have to make decorations, of course). I have no idea about the cakes I have three months from now. I do, however, know exactly what's going on with the cakes I have for this coming weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%