Police Car/badge/handcuffs

Decorating By spedteacher Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:23pm by luelue1971

spedteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spedteacher Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to cake decorating, and do not do it a whole lot. My son is turning 6 and we are having a theme of police man. He wants a police cake. I have seen a few pictures of badges, cars and I have even seen handcuffs. I have no idea were to begin. Anyone have any directions or instructions that I could look at. I would really like to be able to surprise him with the cake. Thanks
Angelia

5 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 6

HI! Welcome to CC....... Did you look in the gallery ? If you find something you like, you could contact the person that made the cake, and they would most likely give you any help you will need.......

Rzrback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rzrback Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome to CC! My hubby is policeman and we're doing a badge for a cake this week. I'm going to be doing a royal icing transfer of a badge on top of a sheet cake. I'm hoping it will turn out okay. I plan on painting it with silver and gold pearl dust. You might could do something similiar, also doing a car and maybe an officer in either a RIT or color flow? You could make handcuffs out of fondant or gumpaste. Or you could do a 3d carved police car cake with fondant accents. I'm sorry I don't have any instructions for you, but good luck and I'm sure your son will love whatever you do!

Rzrback

(I will try to post a pic of the badge later this week!)

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 6

Can you get your hands on a real badge?? I recently did a retirement cake and my mother made a silicone mold of the real badge and from that I made a fondant/gumpast mix and put it in the mold. It dried over night and then I painted it with gold luster dust (Sergeant is gold here).

I wasn't sure if the silicone that she used was food safe, so I just made sure to tell them not to eat the badge.

Just figured I'd throw some ideas out there!

Rzrback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rzrback Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 6

My instructor mentioned something about silicon molds tonight in class, however I have no idea how to make one, or what products are required to make one. Could you please share this information??

Thanks so much!
Rzrback

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 6

I made one a few months back of a badge and it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. I modeled it after the clients actual badge.

I made a 10 inch 1 layer cake. I sketched the badge out on parcment paper and then used piping gel to line the details on the badge and laid it on the cake. Then I used buttercream to fill in the details on the cake.

Here's a pic.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%