Msg From Fat Daddios On Testing Our Pans

Decorating By GregSkipper Updated 29 May 2008 , 4:32am by leah_s

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #31 of 90

Just wanted to add that I purchased a full set of square FD pans when I started my business and I've been very happy with them. My only problem is that I only have one of each size!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #32 of 90

Thanks, Greg, for taking the time to post the information. I have two sets of FD square pans, and I always have trouble with the corners. The top edges curve downward. After your post, I'll definitely try reducing the temp to 300 or 325 and see if that works. Thanks so much for the advice!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #33 of 90

I'm so impressed with your care and explanation of your product, I'm planning to invest in some pans with the revenue from my first sale of a wedding cake! so this comes just in time, I will be trying out FD pans! icon_smile.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #34 of 90

Hi! I'm Petit-four of the "original" test (posted in the Cake Decorating Forum). One of our members pointed out to me Greg has posted his message about me in 3 different forums.

I would like to just note that I am not affiliated with any cake, pan, or baking manufacturer or shop in any manner. I was surprised at CC members' response to my "test." I just would invite CC members to read the original, complete post (which I know is long), so that they may see what I believe was a fair test. I have made a point of checking the post frequently, specifically to note and accomodate the many helpful suggestions of CC members, both ML and FD fans.

Thank you...and I'm baking another cake at the lower temperature tonight -- I'll post photos. thumbs_up.gif

Petit-four Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #35 of 90

I am sorry, I see my original post has been deleted.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588334.html

Sorry. I did not realize CC monitored the boards for comparative studies.

Thanks.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #36 of 90

I didn't see free pans anywhere. Did I miss it or did it not happen yet?

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #37 of 90

Please can we be notified when the link is on the website? Even if I do not get the link I will buy some of Fat Daddio's pans. I think the comma shape is cute.

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #38 of 90

Please can we be notified when the link is on the website? Even if I do not get the link I will buy some of Fat Daddio's pans. I think the comma shape is cute.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #39 of 90

I LOVE my Fat Daddio pans; they are very easy to clean (my mom is amazed that I don't have to soak them before washing with a sponge) and they bake evenly every time.

I usually buy my pans from GSA but I'm now looking to buy the larger half round pans, the 16 and 18 inch sets, which GSA doesn't carry. thumbsdown.gif I refuse to buy from "sugar -you- know- who.com" tapedshut.gif
because they were horrible when I did order from them last year...

so if anyone knows of another FD pan carrier please advise.

Petit-four Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #40 of 90

I've called and emailed Greg Skipper from Fat Daddio's, and he has not replied. However, I do see he has made sure CC has taken down my comparative test.

If you read what remains of the post I wrote, you will see I gladly included new information from CC members.

I am very sorry Mr. Skpper is so displeased with a comparative study of his pans.

Thanks,
Petit-four

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #41 of 90

Thanks for all the info!! I have FD's in my "to visit" vendors on ICES! icon_smile.gif See ya there!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #42 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4sugar

I LOVE my pans; they are very easy to clean (my mom is amazed that I don't have to soak them before washing with a sponge) and they bake evenly every time.

I usually buy my pans from but I'm now looking to buy the larger half round pans, the 16 and 18 inch sets, which doesn't carry. thumbsdown.gif I refuse to buy from "sugar -you- know- who.com" tapedshut.gif
because they were horrible when I did order from them last year...

so if anyone knows of another FD pan carrier please advise.

http://www.fondant source.com/fatda2deroca.html

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #43 of 90

I thought petit four did a very kind and generous thing and I'm sorry she is being treated this way.

I really appreciate the info on these pans, right from the sources mouth, but it seems as though petit four just did an honest test to benefit us all. Could we all thank her?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

And thanks for the additional FD info!

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

http://www.fondant source.com/fatda2deroca.html

Thanks, Foxy Momma, but that link doen't work and I couldn' find the website by typing in the info icon_confused.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #45 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I thought petit four did a very kind and generous thing and I'm sorry she is being treated this way.

I really appreciate the info on these pans, right from the sources mouth, but it seems as though petit four just did an honest test to benefit us all. Could we all thank her?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

And thanks for the additional FD info!

I didn't see her test, but would love to read it. Too bad it's been removed. I have had some problems with my FD pans, especially the square ones. That rounded edge on the on the bottom just kills me. I wouldn't have ordered if I known it was like that.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #46 of 90

Petit-four, I am so sorry your post has been deleted. I think you did a fair comparison, and welcomed other cc member's own baking experiences with both pans. I thought that's what this site was all about. Sharing our personal experiences with products and techniques with other bakers.

I happen to love my ML pans, and bought one FD pan to try out, which I haven't done yet. I hope it works well, but I do have to say that when I bought my pan there weren't any intructions that came with it saying I needed to lower the oven temperature and shorten the baking time when using it. Maybe the company can post that on the website when you order, or include an instruction sheet, or sticker, to come with your pan.

JMHO

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #47 of 90

Ok, I am confused..........

Am I the only one wondering why, if this temperature issue is so CRUCIAL to the outcome of your product, it is not plastered all over the place? When you buy a pan does it come with clear instructions advising you of the temperature limitations?

Here is the link to their site:

http://www.fatdaddios.com/index.htm

Show me where it tells you that if you cook your cakes over 325 degrees (or whatever the instructions were) they will come out crumby and with ill-formed corners?

It should be in BOLD. icon_lol.gif

But more importantly, the only 'flaw' I saw in that experiment was the lack of instruction by the manufacturer. *ahem* Please enlighten me if I am mistaken, of course. But also, in all my years of talking cake and equipment on CC, I have only seen one person who mentioned anything about bake temperatures with FD bakeware and that was Leah.

You would think if it was this important, more then just one person or even a small handfull of this community would be aware of it? icon_rolleyes.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #48 of 90

petit-four

I still think that your test was a good idea because the typical customer doesn't test the product in a controlled lab with stainless steel ovens whilst wearing long white lab coats and goggles...we want to be assured that the products will work in our kitchen when we get home after a long day at the office, totally bummed out and have to deliver a perfect looking cake in 2 days!!
How were we supposed to know that the oven must be at a particular temperature in order for the product to perform effectively? There is no pamphlet or label informing us of such when we buy FD. icon_confused.gif
I believe that you had good intentions when you posted the results of your test! Now, thanks to Greg, we can conduct more extensive testing when we get the free pans!!!

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #49 of 90

I think the problem was with a flawed test (I highly doubt FD is paying them to remove it, ykwim?), and if it is important that they are baked at 325, I see no problem with them removing the test, as it is Cake Centrals board the last time I checked.

*Edited- I forgot to mention, that I DO appreciate the test- It was very informative- It just seems a bit misleading if it wasn't done properly- through no fault of her own.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #50 of 90

Thank you for your reply. It is great to see a manufacturer stand up for their product.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #51 of 90

Thank you for your reply. It is great to see a manufacturer stand up for their product.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #52 of 90

I'm new to cake-ing, but I appreciated the test. It was very informative (as was the FD reply) and I just appreciate the info from all sources.

That being said, I think it was above and beyond for Petitfour to conduct that test in such a way that regular old people (like me) can see the results with our own two eyes and I'm glad I got to see the original post because I thought it was fair and well done.

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMo07

I highly doubt FD is paying them to remove it, ykwim?), and if it is important that they are baked at 325, I see no problem with them removing the test, as it is Cake Centrals board the last time I checked.

I agree....Cake Central makes the rules and we have to play by them - I respect that and honestly appreciate all they do. And I don't think they were paid, I would put my money on being firmly encouraged icon_lol.gif to edit/remove that post. Ya know what I mean??

CC's gotta CYA......

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #54 of 90

I would like to thank Petit-four icon_biggrin.gif for going thru the trouble of testing the pans. It helped me when making my choice of purchasing my new set of ML pans. I love them!!! thumbs_up.gif

Once again thanks Petit-four!! thumbs_up.gif

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #55 of 90

I am new to cake decoratingand hopefully I'll have the chance to test your product. I appreciated thanks.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:25pm
post #56 of 90

It's nice to see a business with decent customer service. That's a dying practice. Thanks. I hope I can be one of the lucky ones to try out your pans.

Tori icon_smile.gif

lanuevarepostera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanuevarepostera Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #57 of 90

I agree with a lot of you...petitte four did a great job...actually I need to buy a square pan in the next days ....and her information was very helpfull...thanks pettite four

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #58 of 90

I saw the original post and I thought it was fair (in the sense of balanced, not in the sense of not-so-good).

I'm appalled that the post would be removed and if I had been thinking of buying FD pans, this would convince me not to.

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:59pm
post #59 of 90

The post with the test was removed? You're kidding, right?

It was someone's personal experience and the pictures showed her real results. Even though I do own and enjoy my FD pans, it was very good to have that visual of the difference with the two brands.

I just don't understand why we can't post our own experiences with products. What about all the Wilton-bashing posts? Would they be deleted if Wilton decided to give out free trial fondant?

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:04pm
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBelle

The post with the test was removed? You're kidding, right?

It was someone's personal experience and the pictures showed her real results. Even though I do own and enjoy my FD pans, it was very good to have that visual of the difference with the two brands.

I just don't understand why we can't post our own experiences with products. What about all the Wilton-bashing posts? Would they be deleted if Wilton decided to give out free trial fondant?

rotflmao.....'free trail' fondant.......the only 'free' thing that's still turned down, lol! oops....... tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%