Need Help On A City Scape

Decorating By marietrae Updated 27 May 2008 , 7:32pm by indydebi

marietrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marietrae Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to figure a way to do a skyline on a 3 tier cake, I have seen it done a few ways not sure the best way to to it. Can any one help??? I have thought about doing it with chocolate but not sure how to!!! icon_smile.gif [/b]

3 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 4

i just did a batman, Gotham City. I did it out of gumpaste. It was all black. I ran out of time and had to use buttercream for the windows. I just used a ruler and had the buildings about one inch apart. I cut them different sizes and shapes. When are you going to be doing the cake? Will the chocolate melt?

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 4

indydebi did a wedding cake with a chocolate skyline on it. I'm sure she'll show up here sometime soon, or else you can pm her.

HTH (i mean, hope she helps LOL icon_lol.gif)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 4

The skyline wedding cake is in my pics. Fortunately for me, the bride was an engineer and created a CAD template for the skyline. This made it super simple for me, as I just had to cut around the template with an exacto knife .... 4 side per cake x 4 cakes.

I had done a prototype for this bride and did as suggested above .... used a ruler on top of the chocolate and cut the lines. The template was much easier .... made it consistent. YOu could do it freehand ... dont' need CAD equipment.

If you use meltd chocolate, use gloves when handling the chocolate bldgs. This will help prevent melting. I attached the choc bldg's with bc as the glue to hold it onto the cake. I used canned chocolate fudge icing to fill in the gaps created at the corners. Just dots of white BC made the windows.

It was modeled after Collette Peters Skyline cake.

I was stressing about making this cake (mostly due to my schedule that week), but it turned out to be not as much work as I thought it would be and holds the title as my most fun cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%