Help! Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By Fiddlegirl Updated 28 May 2008 , 4:32am by Sugarflowers

Fiddlegirl Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

I've been trying to teach myself to make gumpaste roses. I've tried the Wilton way and I tried the method from the video that was posted in the articles. Nether of them work for me. My roses turn out looking...funny. Not like real ones.
So, can anyone offer any advice? Is there any other way to make them?

Thanks!

5 replies
diane Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

roses take practice...be patient. there's aine's way.

also...

thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6

I love tha Aine2 video on Youtube - it was so helpful. Also, I kept making roses that looked....well, funny. Odd. And I couldn't out my finger on what the problem was. Then I realized my center buds were high. Real roses have a low bud with petals gently building around it and working its way higher.

Mine all had the 'pinecone' effect becuase I would make the bud and work my around and down instead of up. I just ordered a bunch of 5 petal cutters because the Wilton one isn't big enough and the cuts you have to make sort of make my roses look wonky.

I am hoping to make even better ones when the cutters come. Also, adding individual rose petals once you have done the first 3 layers add fullness and make them look more lifelike.

Sugarflowers Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #4 of 6

When making your roses be sure to make nice, tight centers. By this I mean make several layers of petals that wrap around the base before starting to flare open.

As has been said, the centers are lower than the outer petals, so carefully place each round of petals just a little bit higher than the previous one. When you start to flare them, then they will look nice and more natural. The outermost petals are much larger and flare out a lot more. They also curl back quite a bit, so keep this in mind when attaching your last round of petals.

There is a link in my signature line for a DVD that shows you how to make roses and some other flowers.

Good luck.

Michele

diane Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:20am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

When making your roses be sure to make nice, tight centers. By this I mean make several layers of petals that wrap around the base before starting to flare open.

As has been said, the centers are lower than the outer petals, so carefully place each round of petals just a little bit higher than the previous one. When you start to flare them, then they will look nice and more natural. The outermost petals are much larger and flare out a lot more. They also curl back quite a bit, so keep this in mind when attaching your last round of petals.

There is a link in my signature line for a DVD that shows you how to make roses and some other flowers.

Good luck.

Michele

michele,
i just love your cakes and sugar flowers. icon_lol.gif
you are so talented. thank-you so much for sharing your talent! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Diane! I love your pun.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%