Another One Of Those Articles...

Business By ccr03 Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:08pm by GeminiRJ

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 9

So, I'm bored at work which you know means looking up cake stuff. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, came across this article, and thought it might be good - but urrgh! Why are they spreading the fake cake is cheaper lie!!

http://www.freemoneyfinance.com/2007/06/saving_on_weddi.html

8 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 9

I also hate these articles......how is it cheaper to decorate a huge fake cake AND make a bunch of sheet cakes. The only thing that I would do for cheaper is if the bride wanted a huge 4 or 5 tiered cake but didn't really need that much cake, I would use styro for the bottom 2 layers, charge her for the styro and decorating and it would be cheaper.

I know everyone says it still takes time to decorate, which is absolutely right. But if the styro is being paid for by the customer then you don 't have the cost of the ingredients, time spent baking and torting those layers, etc so I think your time is really reduced. Is that bad? Am I worse than the articles? Because I can see it being a bit cheaper in the long run.

But if you order a huge fake cake and still need sheetcakes for 200, I don't see how that is going to be any cheaper.... icon_confused.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 9

cakediva, I think I'm with you on that one!

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 9

This article is a great piece of fiction writing. $17 per slice for this person's average mid-range priced cake??? Did you notice that she has done a grand total of 50 weddings in SIX years and this makes her a wedding expert? I couldn't pay my bills on only 50 weddings in 6 years, how about the rest of you?

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 9

Well maybe a person could pay the bills at $17 per sliceicon_smile.gif!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Well maybe a person could pay the bills at $17 per sliceicon_smile.gif!

no kidding! And here I am charging $2.25 / serving for tiered cakes!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 9

I wish. $17!!!

I charge the equivalent of $9.16 for BC, plus 20% for RF (10.99).

I am raising my prices across the board in September.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

This article is a great piece of fiction writing.

lol I think that's a pretty good way to look at it. icon_lol.gificon_confused.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 9

Maybe there's a business opportunity here. Make up fake cakes (the kind that aren't made with real icing and can be kept for years) and rent them out. So they get the display cake, along with sheet cakes in the kitchen that they can "trick" their guests with. (Loved that line about "trickery"! Maybe their guests will "trick" them with recycled gifts, too).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%