Help! Pan Too Big For My Convection Oven!!

Decorating By digits Updated 27 May 2008 , 11:09pm by cakesbyallison

digits Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 4

I have a 4 tier wedding cake to do and I wanted to do a 16" for the bottom layer. The pan doesn't fit in my oven b/c it is a convection. I was going to do 4, 8" and peice them together but I am scared it may cause problems. Any suggestions? has anyone run into similar problems?
Thanks! icon_cry.gif

3 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 4

Well I recently ordered a bunch of pans online and there were both 16 and 18 inch pans in the basket. As I was cooking a 12", it dawned on me that there wasn't very much room so I decided to measure. No way was an 18" going to fit - total bummer.

There was another poster who had already ordered and then realized it wouldn't fit and she said she was going to try to get access to a larger oven to bake that layer for the cake she was making.

Mine is a standard oven and can accomodate the 16" so maybe you have a friend who will let you use their oven to bake that layer?

2sweetcookies Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 4

what kind of oven do you have? I am going to be purchasing a convection oven soon, when we went to the store I looked inside and measured becouse it looked really small indide. I also have a wedding cake coming up with a 16" round and I had my husband go back to the store with the pan and he said it fit in the Kenmore and Maytag. I;m afraid to buy the oven for this reason. If it's edge to edge will it effect the baking?

cakesbyallison Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 4

I think you can purchase a 16" round "half pan" (assuming your talking about rounds), and you simply piece them together. I think I have a couple.... it's either a 16" or an 18" (half circle).

If you're doing a 16" square, use 1/2 sheets - bake three and cut the third to make 2 16" squares (provided your 1/2 sheet is 16" in legnth!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%