What Cake / Desert Can I Make With Kahlua?

Baking By Montserrat Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm by Montserrat

Montserrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montserrat Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 13

This follows my previous post. I've now purchased a bottle of Kahlua and can't remember for the life of me and absolutely no idea now what cakes / cheesecakes / deserts I can make with it.

It's funny how, when I pore through recipes, I make a mental note to buy certain ingredients and then when I have it, I forget why I wanted it for!! LOL

Any suggestions would be most helpful. The cake / desert should only have a hint of kahlua cos of my children.

Thank you!

12 replies
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 13

I use Kahlua to flavor whipped cream for cream horns or other pastries. I have also used it instead of vanilla in my buttercream, with chocolate cake. You can use it in a lot of things, but those were the ones I've tried so far and they were both really yummy.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 13

I use a 1/2 coffee and 1/2 kahlua in place of water in a white cake, then the same mixture as a drizzle.

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 13

I make a dirt cake with it. Bake a chocolate cake (duncan hines devil food cake), let this cool completely you also need a tub of cool whip and 2 or 3 boxes of chocolate pudding. Now crumble up the cake (it's messy but so much fun) prepare pudding and be sure cool whip is thawed. In a deep glass bowl layer a bit of the crumbled cake sprinkle some Kahlua over it. Layer on some pudding and then cool whip. Repeat . Besure to end with cool whip. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings, choc chips or even choco jimmies. Refrigerate over night and then eat YUMMY!!!1 icon_biggrin.gif

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 13

Cake Mix doctora has the best chocoltae Kahlua cake! I fill it with Dulce de Leche . .. . yum!!

Montserrat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #6 of 13

Sorry for late reply.. we had our school holidays here over the last 2 weeks.. so was busy with the children.

Thanks toodlesjupiter, gr8yf, mariatamia and tiersfrom heavern for your suggestions.. good idea--> will start flavouring my cakes with kahlua!

bunnywiser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnywiser Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:36am
post #7 of 13

My favorite is the Moosewood Restaurant Mississippi Mud cake. Wonderful! Just be sure to store in the fridge overnight. Here is a link to the recipe: http://books.google.com/books?id=RIZUbs0nrsIC&pg=PA270&lpg=PA270&dq=moosewood+mississippi+mud+&source=web&ots=u4HT4cP8XE&sig=OverOz9rzttN2xapyPzJEDG9K4g&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA270,M1

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:05am
post #8 of 13

If you want something that will knock your socks off you need to try this one!!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5873-Mexican-Vanilla-Kaluaha-Small-Recipe.html

If you want to take it one step further then add a layer of Nutella to your fillings. I put cinnamon and kahula in my BC for this cake and use it as the filling on top of a thin layer of Nutella. The Nutella and the Kahlua are a match made in Heaven!!! icon_lol.gif

Kim

CakeMommy82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy82 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 13

Try a recipe for Tiramisu.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 13

This is to DIE for! And so easy to make!

Chocolate Dream

1 box Fudge Brownie Mix
1/4 cup Kahlua
2 cups prepared chocolate mousse
2 cups real whipped cream
1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate shavings

-Prepare brownie mix according to instructions on box, using the two egg recipe and substituting milk for the water.
-Line (2) 9" X 9" X 2" baking pans with either parchment paper or wax paper.
-Spray bottoms with non-stick cooking spray.
-Pour equal amounts of batter into each pan.
-Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
-Allow to cool completely.
-Set one brownie pan aside; invert other pan and remove brownie in one piece; return to pan upside down; remove parchment paper.
-Brush the brownie evenly with 1/2 the Kahlua; spread 1/2 the mousse evenly over the brownie; spread 1/2 the whipped cream over the mousse; sprinkle top evenly with chocolate shavings.
-Remove second brownie from pan; brush with remaining Kahlua; place brownie on top of other brownie; spread remaining mousse evenly over the brownie; spread remaining whipped cream over the mousse.
-Refrigerate until ready to serve.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 13

Theres a recipe in The Cake Mix Dr...

Chocolate Kahlua Cake

1 pkg plain devil's food cake mix
1 pkg choc instant pudding
3/4 cup Kahlua
1/2 cup water
1/2 veggie oil
4 large eggs

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1/4 cup Kahlua

Mix all ingredients together and put in a 12-cup Bundt pan. Bake @350 for 45-47 minutes.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 13

you can make chocolate mousse with it, serve it alone in dessert cups, or use a filling in cake, it is SUPER yummy!

Montserrat Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 13

Sorry fellow CCers for my late reply.. been away and not checked in for some time now.

Thanks bblwise for the recipe link. thumbs_up.gif I was able to open it the other time but am unable to now. Thanks anyway.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif mgigglin for the link to the Mexican Vanilla-Kahlua Cake.. will give it a try.. and the nutella filling too..

Thanks thumbs_up.gif CakeMommy82 for your suggestion.. I think I'm not quite ready for tiramisu.. have not reached that level in my endeavours!

Jayde & Kivia.. thanks thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif for both your recipes and for taking the time to type it out! I really appreciate it and they seem simple enough, so will try them out some time.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif apetricek for your suggestion. I need to be more adventurous.. I always forget about trying out the kahlua.. I made a chocolate cake last week and forgot about the kahlua again!

Thank you all.. I have learned so much since I joined CC and am so much more confident in my baking now. I always get 'orders' / requests from my nieces for my cakes. Nothing like others enjoying your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%