Selling Cake Pans On Ebay... Question

Business By wendysue Updated 29 May 2008 , 5:35pm by psambar

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 5

Have any of you sold cake pans on eBay and if so, what did you typically charge for shipping?

I did this a couple years ago and it seemed like it cost more than I'd expected it to. I've set most of my auctions at around $7.95 for shipping and handling for a single pan. Is that too high? For sets of two pans I'm at $8.95.

I don't have these pans boxed yet, since I don't know if I'll have a buyer go for multiple auctions and want to combine shipping... so, it's just a guess when I'm on the USPS website and trying to imagine what these cake pans might cost to ship.

Advice appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

~Wendy

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

shipping costs are totally dependent on weight and/or size of box, and sometimes size of box will override the weight. If you don't have weight/size, you are just pulling a number out of the air.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 5

How big are these pans? I would try and weigh them (if possible) for the most accurate quote. Either do that or overquote to be sure you are covered.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 5

I always prepackage and weigh before listing...that way I can put in that amount and the buyer will only need to pay actual shipping by their zip code. I also normally give the option of Parcel Post, Priority Mail, or UPS. You can select all of those shipping options and the buyer can choose the cheapest for his/her location. You will also need to provide the dimensions of the box.

psambar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psambar Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 5

I would check out what other sellers are doing for comparable pans. How big are the pans? I typically use the flat rate boxes for all of my eBay items if they're small enough to fit. That way, its no surprise for you or the buyer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%