Help Needed

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 27 May 2008 , 4:34pm by diane

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 3

I know I saw a post somewhere about this but I am asking again. Does anyone have any suggestions on making an all shortening buttercream that will hold up in the Texas heat when the gathering is outside? I need some advice about that.
Thanks,
Cathy

2 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 3

I live in the northern panhandle of texas, dry and hot in summer. The recipe I use is this:

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of powdered coffee creamer
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of shortening
4 pounds of ps
2 tsp butter flavoring
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp creme bouquet

you can use any kind of flavoring with this. Whip in mixer for 5-8 minutes or so till very creamy. I have used this recipe for years and holds up well. I know there are other recipes out there also. Good luck

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 3

here's a recipe i found on the web.

Buttercream Icing II - Holds up in humidity better â Faux Fondant
This recipe and the instructions are from a lovely lady name "Sewsweet."

4 pounds powdered (confectioners') sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
1/3 cup powdered milk mixed with enough water to make 1 cup
1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon clear butter flavor
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Crème Royale or crème bouquet, optional
1/2 cup corn starch
Viva paper towels*

* You want a paper towel that has no design imprinted for smoothing your icing The trick is to smooth it with Viva paper towels that when the icing is slightly crusted.

Into the mixer bowl, place the Crisco shortening and cream until fluffy.

Combine the water and the powdered milk in a small bowl; add the butter extract, almond extract, and crème royale or crème bouquet, and salt.

Add the powdered sugar mixture to the creamed shortening in the mixer bowl and mix. Add 1/2 cup cornstarch and beat well on low for about 15 minutes.

NOTE: This buttercream icing can be kept out of the refrigerator for around 2 weeks, I'd say. I usually use it so fast that I hardly ever get it in the refrigerator unless I am preparing large batches. It can also be frozen. The cornstarch helps humidity as well as helping to cut the sweetness. Play with it and use whatever flavorings you like.

This icing needs to be made ahead of time. As it sets up it gets firmer. When ready to use, just rewhip on low and you get a smooth, non-airy buttercream icing. I like this recipe better than Wiltonâs buttercream because it tastes less sweet and uses half the amount of Crisco shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%