Quick Question, Please Help A Girl Out..

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 28 May 2008 , 3:53am by gabbenmom

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 13

I am doing a cake with 2 tiers- don't usually do stacked cakes so here's the quick question... bottom is 10" and top is going to be a 6" (both rounds) do I need to dowel it or would a couple of straws supporting the top layer be okay?

TIA

MN

12 replies
gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 13

Hi. The straws should be able to support the 6" cake without a problem. You may want to dowel the cake if it will be traveling once it is already put together. If you are putting it together on site, you should be fine.
HTH!

~Heidi

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 13

I recommend doweling. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 13

I always recommend SPS. Better to be really safe than sorry. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 13

I've used bubble tea straws successfully a few times. I've also used dowels successfully. I go by the weight of the top tier. If it's a lot smaller than the bottom tier and doesn't weigh too much I'm satisified that the straws can support it. If I have any doubt whatsoever, I use dowels.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 13

i've put 6"cakes on sheetcakes and never used any dowels and had no problems, but with it being on another round i probably would use dowels...especially for transporting. icon_wink.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 13

I use dowels 100% of the time. Why take a chance?

kidscakelady Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks so much. Now... I am planning to dowel the center (went and got some this afternoon)

How do I tell the customer to cut it/take it apart? Does the frosting stick to the bottom of the samller tier leaving the bottom 10" with missing frosting?

Should she just lift the 6" off of the top and then cut into it? and then cut the 10" underneath?

These may sound like dumb questions, but I really want this cake to be nice from start to finish.

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,MN

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 13

if the icing is crusted, the top tier won't pick up any icing from the bottom one.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 13

Yes, it's easiest if she takes the top tier off to cut it and serve, then remove the supports and cut the bottom tier. Some of the frosting will pull up with the cake board from the top tier, but it's really not that noticable after you cut and serve. I've tried putting wax paper on it, which people have suggested, but I've found it to stick to the icing even more. You can also try shaved coconut or shaved chocolate, but I haven't had that much success with these things. Good Luck icon_smile.gif SARAH

kidscakelady Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 13

I am using my really rich triple chocolate fudge frosting and it doesn't crust really well- it does harden after being in the fridge though. I was thinking that I would frost both layers and then refridgerate them until I put the cake together day after tomorrow and put finishing touches on.

Do you think the frosting will still pull off once the icing comes to room temp at the party? Anyone else have any suggestions for the inderside?

One last thing... should I wrap both sides of the cake board that holds the 6" before putting it on the cake?

Thanks so much for all of your help- I'm certainly no novice to cake decorating but have mainly done single cakes and sheet cakes and want to be sure to do things properly.

MN

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane

Yes, it's easiest if she takes the top tier off to cut it and serve, then remove the supports and cut the bottom tier. Some of the frosting will pull up with the cake board from the top tier, but it's really not that noticable after you cut and serve. I've tried putting wax paper on it, which people have suggested, but I've found it to stick to the icing even more. You can also try shaved coconut or shaved chocolate, but I haven't had that much success with these things. Good Luck icon_smile.gif SARAH

Hmmm.....parchment paper might work better if you don't want it to stick. I actually put some frosting under my upper tier's cakeboard to help it adhere to the bottom tier and keep things where I want them. Then before cutting and serving (I usually do it), I remove the top tier from the bottom and put it on either a plate or tin foil or something just so I don't get the table messy with frosting.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #13 of 13

When you have both cakes ready, take an extra 6" cake board and place it on top of the 10"cake, where you want your 6" cake placed. Press down lightly (to make a faint mark). Pull up the cake board and then you can put some powdered sugar in that little circle or a 50/50 mix of powdered sugar and corn starch. That way all of the frosting won't pull up. It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%