Carving Cake

Decorating By gizzmo Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:15am by OCakes

gizzmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gizzmo Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 8

I am so addicted to watching Ace of Cakes. i think they are awesome; but I dont understand how they carve cakes? When you carve a cake into shape of whatever are these cakes frozen? If not how do they keep them from falling apart? thanks in advance

7 replies
PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 8

I would assume they are frozen. I always freeze mine before I carve.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 8

Everyone has different styles... You'll probably get lots of opinions on how to do it. For instance, I never carve frozen cake and I usually use my tapered angled spatula for the carving. Only sometimes do I use a knife. You have to do a little experimenting and see what works best for you.

Deanna

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 8

I don't freeze either. I use a bread knife or one similar.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 8

I am one that likes to use mostly frozen cakes and serrated knifes (anything from a bread knife to a steak knife depending on the size and detail I need to do)

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 8

I doubt Duff's cakes are frozen, he advertises "Fresh, Never Frozen"
I have done it both ways. Usually depends on how much time I have. It's amazing what you can do with short notice.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:15am
post #7 of 8

I like mine frozen

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:15am
post #8 of 8

I've never used frozen cake, and I have always used any sharp knife - though I'm going to try the angled spatula to see if I like it better (thanks for the idea Deanna!)... I just wanted to add that sometimes if I make a mistake, depending on the cake, I can usually glue a piece back on with icing... I try to always cut-off less than I need to, just that common-sense rule - and it's really fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%