Michele Foster's Fondant-Butter Vs. Shortening

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 28 May 2008 , 3:50am by Sugarflowers

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 5

Does anybody know if Michele Foster's fondant can be made with shortening rather than butter? I need to make a cake for someone that cannot eat butter. I did see that coffee creamer can be used instead of the milk/cream, so I am hoping that I can also switch out the butter without causing any problems.

(I would be using Wal-Mart vegetable shortening which has 2g of trans fat per tablespoon. I also have crisco, but that does not have the trans fat.)

Thanks for your help!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 5

Michele would be the best person to ask that, because it is her recipe. You can contact her through CC PMs using the screen name sugarflowers.

Now, when comparing shortening to butter, you must remember that butter is about 18% water, whereas, shortening has no water in it.

Were I in your predicament, I would consider salt-free margarine instead, because there is about the same percentage of water in it. But even then, it is a different type of fat (vegetable as opposed to animal), and may not work either.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

Michele has said before that she uses shortening and water rather than butter and milk when making the fondant for dummy cakes just to save on the cost of ingredients, so I think shortening should be fine in place of the butter.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

Great, thanks!!

Sugarflowers Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 5

Shortening works very well for the fondant. The butter is used mostly for flavor. Water or other liquids can be used in place of the milk. Just substitute equal amounts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%