First Time Carving A Cake

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 27 May 2008 , 3:07pm by TexasSugar

disneynutbsv Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #1 of 4

I'm going to do a beehive for my grandmother's 89th birthday!
My question is, should the cake be frozen when I carve?

Also, I plan on doing two 8" and two 6".
On one of the 8" I'm going to carve off an inch and round out the edges, same for the 6". Does this sound about right for a beehive?

Or if others have suggestions, I would love to hear them! Thanks!

3 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

I don't carve mine frozen, but if that works better for you, then do that. People do it both ways depending on what they like to do. Use a sturdy cake and it will be easier to carve whether or not it's frozen.

You may want to add another small tier on top, like a 4" one, to give your hive more height, and more rounded areas. (Not sure what to call the "rounded areas" but maybe you get what I'm trying to say.)

TooMuchCake Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, never mind, I get what you're saying. You're going to round off *each* of the 8s and *each* of the 6s? I might still add the 4" on top if it were me.

Post a pic when it's done!

TexasSugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 4

I have never frozen a cake to carve it. Mostly because I don't have room in the freezer for it. I just did a cow this weekend (in my pics) and I used fresh baked chocolate cake (doctored cake mix) and didn't have problems. Use a serated knife (like a bread knife). You are going to have a crumb issue but once you give it a crumb coat you should be fine. You do want to use a heavier more dense cake.

If you want to do something with out actually carving, why not get the Wilton Wonder Mold pan (the doll dress), it is a great shape for a bee hive. You could also bake in a glass (pyrex type) bowl to give you the rounded top. I've heard of people using the 8 cup pamper chef measuring cup/bowl for the doll dress and can see that working for a behive.

I like carving cakes, but I also start with something close to the basic shape for what I am doing. I know people can use sheet cakes cut them and stack them and go to town, but not me. I need to see the basic shape before I get started, then I can widdle it down to what I want.

I do think the 6 and 8 in could work for a beehive, but I would probably do 2 layers of each cake so you can use the height to form the shape as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%