First Paid Wedding Cake...what Do You Think?

Decorating By ericaann79 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 3:49am by dandelion56602

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #1 of 24

So I have made a personal triumph! I am so excited to say that I have been paid to do a wedding cake...and I attended the wedding which made things a little more stressful...but I got some really good feedback. Please let me know what you think...and helpful criticism would be greatly appreciated!
LL

23 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:32am
post #2 of 24

Very, very nice! Excellent work...nothing to criticize...you should be very proud!

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 24

it's gorgous! Great job!

I have my first wedding cake order to do! I totally love your cake. I will be showing my bride your cake!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:53am
post #4 of 24

Well done!!! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gifjudge.gif perfect!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:56am
post #5 of 24

It's absolutely beautiful!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #6 of 24

It looks great. I don't like to say negative things but I would want constructive criticism (I hate that word!). The only thing I see (& it could be the pic) is the next to bottom tier seems to be bulging a little--one w/ the diamonds. If it was, next time you might want to use a stiffer dam. I also like to put a board on mine after filling it & press gently, then I crumbcoat & let it sit for an hour or two then go back to scrape off any excess around the middle that might have bulged during the settling before icining it, then it shouldnt bulge after it's iced. Does that make sense?

Again, beautiful & I hope my first wedding cake looks this good! icon_smile.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:15am
post #7 of 24

Nice job, its awesome and I bet it feels so good to have accomplished that cake!

My first wedding cake was for friends who had my husband and daughter both in the wedding party! Talk about stressful! I feel your pain!

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:34am
post #8 of 24

You should be proud! That is an absolutely beautiful cake - job well done. icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:44am
post #9 of 24

Your cake is absolutely beautiful. You HAVE to be proud of your self.

Well Done! thumbs_up.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:18am
post #10 of 24

WOW! Great job ...... that cake is just BEAUTIFUL !! thumbs_up.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:23am
post #11 of 24

Professional looking cake!!! Congratulations!!!
Be ready for coming orders.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:38am
post #12 of 24

Beautiful cake!

The only thing I see, as someone already pointed out, is the very slight bulging (and as she said, that could be the picture!) But it's not noticeable enough, I don't think, for any non-cake person. Even as a cake person, I'd be thrilled to have this cake. You did great! icon_smile.gif

And isn't it nice to have the first one behind you and know that you did such a wonderful job? icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:49am
post #13 of 24

Beautiful cake. You did a fabulous job. They only get easier from here icon_smile.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:58am
post #14 of 24

Very beautiful, hon! Thanks for showing us newer ones it can be done, and so nicely as well! icon_biggrin.gif

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #15 of 24

Looks good Erica'. Well done!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #16 of 24

Congrats on your success! It turned out beautiful!

I'm also one that wants true comments 'pro and con' and I also see the buldge, but not until someone mentioned it. Now you know how to correct it and your long line of brides for your cakes will come.

I give you credit! I just couldn't get into that with brides let along attend the wedding as well.

You are on your way!! It's absolutely beautiful!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:27am
post #17 of 24

Very pretty congrats may I ask what is the cake sitting on it it glass
or mirror I love the cake and the set up very elegant I'm always looing for new ideas and I just love it

Molly2 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jnet72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnet72 Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #18 of 24

Very beautiful! I hope my first wedding cake turns out that well!!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 24

Beautiful! The white and ivory combination is just perfect for all the delicate floral colors. Great work!

ericaann79 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #20 of 24

Yes, the cake was bulging a bit on two layers icon_sad.gif I made it the day before the wedding and it all looked fine...I even buttercreamed it about an hour before I put the fondant on. The funny thing is, the bulge was on the most dense cake I had...I was worried about it ont he most moist one. I guess it was the weight of the cake that made my dam expand. Thank you for the advice about smashing it down a bit and letting it rest for about an hour...I will try that next time to prevent this. I also want to thank JenniferMI as I stole the top tier design from her, with her permission of course. In case any of you need the link to the picture here it is...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1225754

Molly - the cake is sitting on a 5/8" glass that is on top of a stand...provided by the caterer, a mirror would have been nice as well though.

Thank you !

ericaann79 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #21 of 24

Also, I forgot to ask...for those experts out there - This was my first time using the CK bead maker for my pearls. It worked wonderfully, however, I made them the day before the wedding because I didn't want to be at the site trying to make them as I set up the cake. So - I have a few questions:

1) how do you apply your pearl dust????
- I tried to brush it on after I formed them, but it didn't give them a very pearly look like the ones I have seen here.

2) If I had stacked the cake at home before delivery I could have put the pearls on fresh so they would have bent a little easier, but I had to wait 24 hours and they were a little crusty from sitting out - how do you apply them when they are like this...I basically had to crack them into individual pearls as I put them on, is this what you do? Or should I just make them at the site?

ericaann79 Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #22 of 24

Help...any advice for the CK bead maker? I hope I can perfect this for next time because I was not happy with the result..thanks!

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #23 of 24

If you had been making cakes that looked like this before, you should of gotten paid before as well. Awesome cake! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #24 of 24

I mix my pearl dust w/ vodka & if you want it really shiny get it on the thicker side (more dust/little vodka).

I've not used the beadmaker, but have read in the past to put your bead border in ziplocs & you can put those bags in an airtight container if you want (do a small trial run to see how it works) and it helps keep them pliable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%