Idea For Grandpa/granddaughter Cake

Decorating By danar217 Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:45am by superstar

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #1 of 6

I need help! I've hit a creative roadblock. I need to make a cake for a friend's daughter's birthday but she is also celebrating with her grandpa. So it's a 1/4 sheet cake for a 10 yr. old and her grandfather. They don't share any similar interests, hobbies so it's got to be something neutral. But....they don't like much icing so they would prefer to not have a bunch of flowers either. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

5 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 6

Yikes...that's tough.

Does it have to be a 1/4 sheet cake? Would they be up for a 8" and 6" stacked cake? You could ice the two tiers w/ their favorite colors. Maybe stripes and polka dots.

Or how about a book cake? Is there a special story that grandpa may have read to granddaughter when she was very little?

Or did he ever play a board game or cards w/ her? You could give the cake a spin off of that.

Good luck and post your picture for us!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 6

Going off of tippyad's story idea. Is there an activity that the 2 of them did together often, either now or when she was younger, such as visiting the zoo, beach, etc? If so, maybe you could do something, such as a zoo with a path with fondant figures of the grandfather and girl holding hands walking on the path.

Or, you cold do an old & young theme. Does the girl have a cell phone? (I don't know too many 10 year olds with them, but, you never know). You could do a cake with a cell phone on one section and an old fashioned phone on the other side. Or some other item beside a phone that would get the message across. Or an iPod and record player, etc. Oh, I just had a thought. Maybe he isn't so old (I was thinking of my own grandfather) so the old-fashioned stuff might not work. If you do something like this, find out his age and figure out what the phones/record players/whatever looked like at that time. It may not be the really old kind, but even a wired phone or just a record would get the message across.

Please post your creation!

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks you guys! I emailed her a bunch of questions and all I got back was that they both like the outdoors. Any more ideas?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

My son had a book when he was little called "We're Very Good Friends, My Grandpa and I." On the cover was a boy (you could make it a girl) walking into the distance hand-in-hand with his grandfather. Perhaps you could do something along those lines?

Deanna

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

How about molding a Grandpa & Grandaughter, sitting outdoors reading or some other activity. You could make it as a topper. Grandpa could be reading the paper & Grandaughter could be doing homework.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%