Baking A Cake In A 3" Deep Pan With Extender Cake Mix

Decorating By born2bake Updated 29 May 2008 , 1:52am by mjs4492

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 7

I have a 9x3 and 6x3 pan that I was wondering if I could add the parchment paper rim and add extra cake batter to make these a 4" high cake. And if so, how long would I bake them for and do I adjust the temperature at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

B2B

6 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 7

Interesting question!!

I only use 3" deep pans. Just curious why you wanted them to be 4" in height?
If you make your filling 1/2" and then your icing on the top of the cake 1/2" you'll end up with about a 4" high cake layer.

I use a coupler without the slit in it (found on CountryKitchens online) for filling and icing the top of the cake and it gives you approximately a 1/2" layer. Trick learned from Sugarshack.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 7

i tried this once....will not again because:

1) hard to get the super square corners with the parchment -- couldn't get it to fit tight enough.

2) that's a LOT of cake batter that is expected to climb to great height and cook all the way through.

3) even with baking strips, lower temp (325) and a flower nail as a heat core, the center didn't cook fully before edges were hard and pulling away -- and it sunk in the middle to boot! by the time I trimmed it level it was only 3 inches

that was my experience -- your's may differ

born2bake Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

Great advise!! and thank you.

My thought process was to make a 4" high cake, torte it in thirds, <1/2" frosting between each torted layer to make a final height of 5". It seems like many of the cakes I see on here have so much height and I was thinking of trying to achieve that look.

mjs4492 - I'll take your suggestion and make 3" height cakes and the 1/2" frosting.

Doug - thank you for your feedback and help me avoid what sounds like it would have been a disaster waiting to happen.

Karen

mjs4492 Posted 28 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

Karen,
Another trick that you can try/use is to put 1/2" foam core board beneath each of your cake layers for an additional bit of height. I tried it for the first time on my Seashell Wedding Cake (in my photos) and I liked the outcome.

Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

born2bake Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks mjs4492! Great advise on the foamboard. You're a great resource for guidance and I'm very appreciative of that.

Karen

mjs4492 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 7

icon_smile.gif
Anytime!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%