Help...so So Sick Of The Boring Cakes

Decorating By seagoat Updated 27 May 2008 , 9:13pm by seagoat

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 7

I am stuck in a rut! I have been doing so many *ugly* cakes lately. The plain jane cakes...

Anyone wanna look at my photos and tell me (based on my experience) what would be the best direction to take to get more professional cakes?

I have been thinking about elimiating sheet cakes and only do the prettier stacked cakes.

I wanna help myself, so please...your opinion counts.

If you would rather pm me, that is fine as well.

Thanks Jessica

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

"boring" is not how I would describe any of your cakes! Wow! Lots of folks choose not to do sheet cakes, so I dont' see that a problem as you establish your niche and area of expertise.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:13am
post #3 of 7

Your cakes are hardly boring icon_smile.gif If you don't want to do sheet cakes any more then don't it shouldn't affect your business at all.

seagoat Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 7

You guys are too nice!

I live in a place where there is enough foreigners to make the upper scale cakes but in a place where the locals think $20 is too much for a cake. I want to sell to the locals of coarse, but sick of the price bashing. So, I was thinking of going for the stacked fondant type of cakes...They are so darn cute and fondant is starting to get known. I just wanted to see what part of my cakes I should change...for example...The cake board, different borders...

Ingredients are a lot more expensive here, but profit is very minimal.

I guess I just wanna vent a little..trying to find a even ground to where I can pay the bills but not feel like I am being taken advantage of.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 7

wow your cakes are DEFINITELY not boring! mine are, but yours are not. thumbs_up.gif no no no! i love them! i wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 7

Well... I looked, and many of your cakes are decorated round ones. It could be you are tired of looking at 2 layer round cakes, and that is why you say they are plain...

Just changing to oval or square cakes might be enough to snap you out of the doldrums...

If you want to challenge yourself and learn something new... you could try learning fondant figures, or maybe gumpaste or fondant flowers?

seagoat Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 7

7yyrt

Yes, that's where I think am going to change. I love.. love some of these figures of fondant/gumpaste. Now I need to get the cd's.

Thank you all for your time and opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%