Thinking About Heading In A New Direction

Decorating By CNCS Updated 27 May 2008 , 1:33am by Kiddiekakes

CNCS Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 11

not giving up cake decorating completely.

I am feeling so defeated...there are so many illegal cake decorators here that it's impossible to keep up and make a living at this.

When I have cake orders and it finally comes down to prices. I always get that same old tune, well xyz can do it for far less or Walmart has cakes your prices are way out of my league.

Anyway I'm leaning towards to buying a chocolate fountain I need input.
Anything from those who own them.

10 replies
majormichel Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 11

Well, I was thinking in going in another direction myself. As cake decorators we are competing with the foodstores and walmart with there cheap prices and buttercream icing. So I have decided to specialize in fondant cakes and be more creative with it. Kind of targeting a particular set of clients not the cheap one who wants cheap cake from the those other stores. I may not be in the same situation as you, but I encourage you to still focus. Try choosing the clientele that suits your budget and taste.

Molly2 Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 11

I have one it was given to me as a gift this week I will use it for the first time the chocolate is kind of pricey I'm looking for to using it, it is a chocomaker brand I didn't know the chocolate was so expensive

Molly2

johnson6ofus Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 11

problem is how many pounds of chocolate you really need to get it to "flow". Larger ones (dramatic) need as much as 4 lbs. And the price of good chocolate---- well, we all know that one!

Ladybug6509 Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 11

I bought a chocolate fountain two years ago and other than to set it up to take a display picture, I haven't touched it again. I'm always promoting it, but no body wants to use it. Such a waste of moneyicon_sad.gif

VickiChicki Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 11

Do not give up. It is people like you who will help to set a standard for all of the other creative cake artists out there. I agree that if you specialize in some of the decorating techniques that others don't do and if you cakes have a great texture and taste - you will start to build a tried and true clientel. I have seen it happen in my own business. And I feel if you lose a few customers to people who aren't willing to pay you what you are worth - you have NOT lost anything! I mean I look around at some of these other websites where some cake decorators are charging up to $10 a serving for their cakes and have more business than they can keep up with! There is no way that Charlotte, NC natives are ready to pay those prices, BUT I will not bow down and charge less - just because the Wal-Mart or Aunt Suzie around the corner is a whole lot cheaper than I am. "Let Them Eat Cake"... somewhere else!

subaru Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 11

My daughter bought me one of those chocolate fountains for christmas. We tried using it at our family christmas party, and it was a mess! It took 4 lbs. of chocolate, then you have to pour cooking oil into the melted chocolate to make it thin enough to pump through the fountain. It took a lot of oil, and by the time we got it going halfway right, I had decided I didn't want to eat "chocolate oil"!
It was a huge mess, so she took it back.
By the way, it was a professional model.

littlecake Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 11

a friend of mine bought one a few years ago. not one of those that cost a couple hundred dollars...hers cost a couple thousand, they were renting it every weekend at 500 bucks a pop.

CNCS Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #9 of 11

There are now chocolate specially made for fountains. No adding oil.

I have to let my hubby know I want one. I know he's not going to be pleased since he just shelled out $40,000 to build my shop a drop in the bucket for his hunting land he bought. Can ya tell I'm a little bitter?

Oh well. I want a medium size fountain I have yet to see one around here.

indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru

My daughter bought me one of those chocolate fountains for christmas. We tried using it at our family christmas party, and it was a mess! It took 4 lbs. of chocolate, then you have to pour cooking oil into the melted chocolate to make it thin enough to pump through the fountain. It took a lot of oil, and by the time we got it going halfway right, I had decided I didn't want to eat "chocolate oil"!
It was a huge mess, so she took it back.
By the way, it was a professional model.

I predicted this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told hubby that chocolate fountains will be the biggest garage sale item around once people find out how much work and how messy they can be!!

Which is fine with me, because I own 5 of them and use them at weddings all the time. I have the smaller ones As I tell my brides:

"Two reasons I use the smaller ones. First, I don't have $4200 to buy a big one! (everyone laughs). Second, Those larger ones can take 5-10 lbs of chocolate JUST TO RUN THEM ... and at the end of the night, it all goes in the trash and you're paying for that. I can get a couple of weddings out of 10 lbs of choc ... so when *MY* costs are low ... *YOUR* costs are low."

I buy Merkins chocolate in the 25 lb box (cost between $90-$100). I can get 3-4 weddings out of one box, depending on size of wedding.

Yes, I add oil to it, but not enough to make it chocolate oil. Melt the chocolate in 45 second increments ... 45 seconds; stir; 45 seconds; stir; etc.... I add the oil at the very end of the process ... just enough to make it thinner. If you add the oil at the beginning, or if you dont' let the chocolate melt first, it will turn out horrible.

I will not use grocery store chocolate in it. Nestle's choc chips are designed to be baked in cookies AND HOLD THEIR SHAPE IN HEAT.... not a good attribute for a fountain in which you need the chocolate to melt and flow!

Profit is wonderful! I spend less than $100 on chocolate and foods/supplies and charge $600. Cha-Ching, baby!!! thumbs_up.gif

Market it well and you will do fine. Promote a Dessert Reception ... wedding cake, with chocolate fountain and 4 dippable foods, plus chocolate dipped strawberries ... what a great array of decadent chocolate!!! That extra touch that will make THIS bride's wedding extra special!! When you tell them "oh adding extra dessert's to your reception is very popular these days" (and it's not a lie), sometimes prompts them to move the idea at least to the "think about it" column.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #11 of 11

I agree with Indydebi....Large Chocolate fountains are very popular now at receptions and if you do your homework and really sell it you will make a profit!! I have one for household use and like all the rest..I used it once and decided it wasn't worth the mess and cleanup to do at every special occasion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%