Real Ribbon...how?

Decorating By Taigen Updated 27 May 2008 , 8:02pm by Taigen

Taigen Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 9

When using real ribbon how do you secure it around and to itself in the cake? Toothpicks? I have seen where some folks say to iron it with wax paper to stop the buttercream from leaving grease marks but I have never seen how anyone actually secures it to the cake.
Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Taigen

8 replies
leah_s Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

Well, first, you really should not use real ribbon as it has dyes and chemicals in/on it that are not food safe.

If you choose to do it anyway, then just wrap it aroudnthe cake and secure with a pearl head pin or dots of icing.

But you really, should not put fabric ribbon on a cake. Use edible ribbon instead.

loriemoms Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 9

also, I have never understood how wax paper works with an iron. I tried it and it didnt do a thing. Instead, cut the wax paper and place it behind the ribbon so it doesnt touch the cake.

I also secure it with a pretty ball pin. (so it looks nice from the back)

I wish I could food safe ribbon, but I haven't found it. (not satin ribbon anyway). Does anyone have a web site?

leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

Food safe ribbon = fondant. You do it yourself.

Hawkette Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Instead, cut the wax paper and place it behind the ribbon so it doesnt touch the cake.

Loriemoms -- has that worked for you? If so, what's your trick? I tried that on my MIL birthday cake (in my gallery). I cut pieces of waxed paper and put it behind the ribbon, but the grease soaked in anyway. It started at the very edges (where the waxed paper was a little shorter so it wouldn't show) and within an hour had soaked all the way through the entire ribbon.

loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Food safe ribbon = fondant. You do it yourself.

Unfortantly, brides want fabric ribbon, not fondant ribbon. They love the look!

loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 9

I havent had any problems with it...with super thin ribbon, I put packing tape on the back of it to stop the buttercream from soaking through.

leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9

Interesting. I have brides at the consultatino ask for it. When I explain why I refuse to do it, they are fine. I know that it's wrong to use it, and I won't do it. Every bride, (and I do 90 weddings a year) says, "Oh I never thought of that. Well you're the professional. Thanks for the heads up." or something similar. And orders the fondant ribbon.

Taigen Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 9

Wow I am really glad I asked as I had never thought of it not being "food safe" to be honest with you. I see so many pictures with ribbons on cakes that it really never crossed my mind that it would be in appropriate to use. So glad I asked...but I have to admit I am surprised that a pin would be used to secure it to the cake...I thought that metal was a huge no no, that's why I thought toothpicks.
I will tell my neice about the ribbon issue and see if she would like the fondant ribbon, I could maybe use a shimmer powder or something to give it a bit of a shine. I seem to remember something about using corn syrup or something to give a shimmer? Anyone know?
Thanks again for the heads up, I do appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%