Why Did My Fondant Weep

Decorating By CNCS Updated 27 May 2008 , 12:14am by CNCS

CNCS Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 4

I made a cake for my dd a surprise of sorts for no real reason just because a mom daughter thing.

Well I made her the decopac shopping diva and it turned out nice, but my fondant started sweating/weeping under the fondant. It was really noticable.

Why?

I know my buttercream was kinda dry when I coated the cake a bit with it. I never expected the fondant to do this.

I had my ac on and the shop was really cool almost too cool because my fingers were cold but I was having a hot flash. icon_lol.gif

3 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 4

If your air conditioning doesn't de-humidify (or doesn't de-humidify very well), you just had condensation form on the fondant because there was a lot of humidity in the air. When the damp air cools water droplets form. Sugar attracts water (fondant=rolled out sugar), so the droplets "appear" on the fondant.

If the cake was cold when you put the fondant on, that would make the condensation happen even more quickly & be even more obvious.

You didn't do anything wrong and there was nothing wrong with the fondant or the cake--the condensation was just a result of the weather conditions.

You can dry the condensation with a fan, but if it's still humid (and cool), it'll just show up again.

HTH
Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If your air conditioning doesn't de-humidify (or doesn't de-humidify very well), you just had condensation form on the fondant because there was a lot of humidity in the air. When the damp air cools water droplets form. Sugar attracts water (fondant=rolled out sugar), so the droplets "appear" on the fondant.

If the cake was cold when you put the fondant on, that would make the condensation happen even more quickly & be even more obvious.

You didn't do anything wrong and there was nothing wrong with the fondant or the cake--the condensation was just a result of the weather conditions.

You can dry the condensation with a fan, but if it's still humid (and cool), it'll just show up again.

HTH
Rae

I just had to buy a dehumidifier for my new apartment because the AC doesn't take enough moisture out, and I couldn't get my fondant to behave with the high humidity. Of course I told my husband the dehumidifier was so that we could save money on our electric bill icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif but anyhow, humidity makes more of a difference than you might think.

CNCS Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #4 of 4

I hadnt thought about the humidity...could very well have been the problem.
I was just taken by surprise.

She liked the cake any way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%