Wht Does This Taste Like This?? Newbie!

Decorating By halaina Updated 27 May 2008 , 1:08pm by mjballinger

halaina Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
Let me start by saying I LOVE THIS FORUM!! You all are so talented and the advice is priceless. With that being said this is my first post and I have been making cakes as a hobby for family for several years now. I had tried the wilton fondant and i'm sure you all know what I thought of that so I had always stuck with buttercream. I recently discovered this site and decided to try Michelle Fosters fondant. I just made it today and was surprised to discover that mine tastes just like powdered sugar. I have read such good things about this recipe and I followed it to a T. I know I didn't use too much Powdered sugar becasue when I was kneading it was still very sticky, not dry. Can anyone offer some advice? I even tried flavoring a small portion, but it didn't help much. I really wanted to use this for a cake for my MIL for her birthday. Thank you for any help.

6 replies
tippyad Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

I can't help w/ Michelle's recipe, but I thought I might direct you to try rolled buttercream (RBC). It gives the same look as fondant, but tastes much better, IMO.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

Good Luck!

JoAnnB Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:21am
post #3 of 7

Welcome to Cake Central. Fondant, in general, tastes like sugar. Flavoring does help-lemon almond and many others that are colorless will help.

I hate clear vanilla (too fake) but you can also use it. However, since it is mostly powdered sugar, that is what some people taste.

It is so very subjective. Some love it, some hate it.

RBC (Rolled buttercream) is a bit harder to use, and it can be greasy. some say it tastes fabulous-like buttercream. Some say it tastes like grease.

You just have to try a few things until you find one that suits YOUR taste. Good Luck.

wgoat5 Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with JoAnn.. there just seems no inbetween with fondant.. you either really really like it or really really hate it...

Satin Ice is a store bought fondant.. but I have found when I use it it kinda "melts" into the bc. And it's a better mouth feel for me icon_smile.gif

There is also Chocopan.. which is chocolate made into fondant.. you can get dark, light, coffee flavored, caramel and white chocolate.. AND you can get the white chocolate in the colored.. And it is VERY tasty....

Explore your options icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 7

Michele is a member here. You would be better off asking her directly, if you're having problems with the recipe or technique.

Her screen name is sugarflowers. Send her a PM. I know she will answer as soon as she can.

And welcome -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

srodts Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 7

I use the MMF on this site and swap the amount of water with the amount of flavor, and I use LorAnn flavor. It tasts great.
HTH

mjballinger Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 7

I'm not familiar with the recipe, but I always add a bit of salt to cut down on the powdered sugar taste. Also, whenever I am making any icing or fondant that doesn't call for butter, I use some butter flavor. Butter flavor, vanilla extra, almond extract and a touch of lemon extract ~ it makes it very tasty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%