Fondant For Dummies??

Decorating By terri76 Updated 27 May 2008 , 3:01pm by terri76

terri76 Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 4

Ok...I've made MMF two times. Both times I just used it for decorations on a BC cake. I've got questions though. icon_redface.gif

Does the fondant normally harden a good bit after it's been on the cake (and off the cake for that matter) for a little while? The last time I used it (a couple of weeks ago) was to put polka dots on a BC covered cake. By the time I was done, the polka dots had dried out a good bit. Is that normal? I didn't want to cover a whole cake and it be very dry and hardened if it wasn't supposed to be like that.

Also, I've heard people talking about Satin Ice, is that any better as far as working with and taste than MMF? MMF about burns my mixer up icon_cry.gif and it smells like an electrical fire. icon_lol.gif If Satin Ice is about the same or better I might go with that.

How long does Satin Ice last? If I bought a 5# bucket, will it last a while before it ruins?

Sorry for all the questions. I think someone needs to write a book called "Fondant for Dummies". I'd be first on the list to get it.

Thanks a bunch for all y'all's help I can't wait to hear from you!!!!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 4

The fondant covering a cake won't dry out because you put a layer of buttercream between the fondant and the cake. If there was air on both sides of the fondant, it would harden.

If your mixer isn't a Kitchen Aid, I'm surprised you could make MMF in it at all. A lot of people knead their MMF by hand. I make mine in the KA with the dough hook and it works fine. But the mixer I had before would have curled up its beaters and died if I had tried making MMF in it.

For the taste of MMF, add a flavoring to it. Oil based flavors like Lorann work well. Walmart sells powdered Adams flavors too, which work well to add to MMF.

I don't know about Satin Ice...I know a lot of people use it, but I've been too happy with MMF to look for something different.

pjaycakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

I only use Satin Ice. It tastes great and is easy to work with. It takes about 1 lb to cover a 6" cake. That is with the extra you cut off and can reuse, so it probably takes about 3/4 of a lb. I roll mine a bit thinner than 1/4" thick so mine goes farther. I just covered a 6 - 9 -12 inch cake this weekend and I used about 4 lbs of fondant after I cut off the excess. HTH.

terri76 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 4

Ok~that helps alot!! Thank y'all so much. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%