Help!!my Cookies Are Spreading Like Wildfires

Baking By Cynita Updated 27 May 2008 , 1:05pm by bonniebakes

Cynita Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 4

I use a basic recipes for some of my cookies(choc. chip, white choc.,etc.), however, I have been making keylime white choc. macadamia nut cookies using the same recipe but unlike my other cookies these are not soft, plump and pretty, these are wide, flat, and crisp.
Here is my basic recipe:
1 C. butter
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 C. cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

for the keylime cookies I add:
1/2 C finely grated coconut
2 tsp. keylime juice, I omit the vanilla extract
nuts and white choc. chips

I am not sure if the keylime juice is causing them to spread so much, but that is the whole purpose of the cookie, ohhh and they taste so yummo!! just can't get them to stop spreading.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
kelsiedelizzle Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 4

They sound delicious! I'm sorry I don't know how to help, but I do know that the type of fat you use can affect the spreading.

Here's a video (from Good Eats) that goes through the science behind chocolate chip cookies:
(Sorry it's kind of long)

Maybe that can help you icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #3 of 4

A few things: you can add a bit more flour, chill the dough before baking and/or take the cookies out a minute or so before they look done. All should help. Also, you can use half shortening and half butter which will help too.

bonniebakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 4

you could also try chilling the dough before you bake them so that it takes longer for the butter to melt (which makes the cookies spread and flatten).

Quote by @%username% on %date%