Check This Video Out And Maybe You Can Answer

Decorating By aandecakedesign Updated 26 May 2008 , 12:50pm by aandecakedesign

aandecakedesign Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:34am
post #1 of 11

I saw this show on wedding central. It Browen Weber doing a wedding cake. When she is piping on the cake, take a look. Is it piping gel? or something thicker? I dont work with piping gel that much to do designs on a cake, but if it doesnt slide off I would love to try it.

10 replies
aandecakedesign Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:47am
post #2 of 11

If you cant answer my question.... please enjoy the video. If you want to see the whole show it will be on again on Wednesday night at 5pm est. on the channel called WE. you can also look on for your local listings. There are other well known decorators on there as well.

amysue99 Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:52am
post #3 of 11

Looks like regular icing to me.

foxymomma521 Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #4 of 11
Originally Posted by amysue99

Looks like regular icing to me.

I agree, why did you think it was piping gel?

imakecakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #5 of 11

It looked like thinned down BC to me, too.

kakelady00009 Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:58am
post #6 of 11

That particular segment went by really quickly, but it looked like she was using piping gel on that one cake. And it looked like a regular buttercream for the shells she was piping.

lovetofrost Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 11

It looked like it was transparent and clear like piping gel to me. But I didn't think you would put that directly on the side of a cake to me. I don't know. thanks for the video though.

Granpam Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 11

It's hard to tell but you can thin buttercream with corn syrup to get free flowing icing. I would also think a homemade piping gel could be made to any consistency. There was some talk at the last DOS about using piping gel with dusts added to pipe but I don't remember exactly what was said. So it could be piping fel with something added.

chasmil Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 11

I'm pretty sure that was piping gel and I have seen people use it to make scrolls on the sides of the cake. I've wanted to try it myself because I love the way it looks.

grama_j Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 11

IF it was piping gel, wouldn't it stay tacky ? Then if someone bumped it, it would come right off, right ?

aandecakedesign Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 11

I am not sure thats why Im asking the question. Havent worked with is much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%