Lemon Buttercream And Wasc

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 27 May 2008 , 10:56am by grama_j

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:20am
post #1 of 6

Hi CC'ers

I need to make a batch of lemon buttercream to go with a 4-layer 6" WASC cake (which, by the way, I tried the recipe for the first time this weekend and it was delicious!).

Please tell me how you guys make your lemon buttercream. Do you add lemon juice, lemon zest, extract, lemon-flavoured gelatin? I want the flavour to be tart but not too overpowering.

Also, has anyone successfully used plain yogurt instead of sour cream in the WASC recipe. The local supermarkets here are not consistent with their supply of sourcream but the plain yogurt is always available.

Thanks again!

Stacey

5 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 6

I've heard of the use of yogurt rather than sour cream, but not used it myself. I'd surely go for the full fat version if I was going to sub. As far as the icing is concerned, I use lemon juice in place of some of the liquid in my regular buttercream recipe.

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 6

I use lemon juice...and a recipe from food network

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_10697,00.html

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:03am
post #4 of 6

I used yogurt in my wasc cake. I'm trying to remember, I think it was fat free. It was o.k. I was trying to see if I lowered the fat in the recipe, if I could keep the center of the cake from sinking. It did help. But, I tried it again with lite sour cream and got more of the result I was looking for. The taste and texture were better. No sinking in the middle. I always get sinking when I use the full fat sour cream. Anyway, that doesn't totally answer your question but maybe it will give you some good information. icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:12am
post #5 of 6

thanks, everyone!!

I will try the WASC recipe with the yogurt and will keep everyone posted. I also want to test a batch of the white chocolate version using the egg whites as opposed to the whole eggs as the recipe states.

micnmax2003, thanks for the buttercream recipe!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:56am
post #6 of 6

I use lemon jello..... just sprinkle it in and mix well..... I use it for all the flavors... raspberry, strawberry, etc.........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%