If I Had A Hammer....

Decorating By Sparklepop Updated 26 May 2008 , 11:00pm by Sparklepop

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:02am
post #1 of 10

I've just had a phone call from a longstanding customer who wants a cake made in the shape of a hammer for her carpenter son.

The cake is to be plain sponge with jam and fresh cream covered with chocolate ganache or buttercream. It's to serve 70 people. Anyone got any ideas apart from a really long handle on the hammer icon_rolleyes.gif my mind has gone blank.

Thanks

9 replies
liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:31am
post #2 of 10

perhaps a larger cake with a hammer on it.....

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:47am
post #3 of 10

I suppose you could carve one out of cake, or use rice crispy treats molded into the shape of a hammer.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #4 of 10

I opened this post thinking you were going to tell us what you would smash with it! LOL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:34am
post #5 of 10

Here is one from the gallery.......
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=65613
I think you would have to put it on another base cake to get the servings that you need......

mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:39am
post #6 of 10

What about making the cake a red toolbox with a hammer lying on top of it, I did one for a friends birthday, he's always got a building project on the go so I baked some slabs cut, filled, and stacked for the toolbox, covered in red fondant and applied the handles, hinges, etc in fondant as well, then adorned the toolbox with a hammer, screwdriver, pliers, screws, etc.. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this cake to show you.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 10

based on an 18x24 sheet (that yields 96 servings if every bit use -- which should get you your 70 allowing for the bits that won't be used.)

the trick -- it's a double high sheet >> stack the purple parts on top of the black parts with filling between (could even tort for 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling!)

in essence making 4 in tall cake.

the parts:

the chimney shapes -- the head of the hammer
the boxes -- goes between head and claw and on top of handle
the curved part -- claw
the long trapezoids with rounded ends -- the handle

ONE very important note -- WHERE'S the PURPLE part for the claw?????

well, there isn't one drawn as it will have to be pieced together out of the scraps left from making the rest of the hammer! (sorry, best I could do and use as much of the cake as possible!)

approximate servings size >> 4 in tall x 1 in wide x 2 in deep (8 cubic inches of cake --- the same as a 2x2x2 piece of a sheet cake)

HTH

(let's just hope the guests do not claw or hammer each other in the head trying to get a handle on their favorite part of the cake!)

LL

jmpearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmpearl Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I opened this post thinking you were going to tell us what you would smash with it! LOL

karenm0712, I had the same thought you did!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

karenm0712, I had the same thought you did!

me too!!

But --- Doug, you're good!! and fast!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 10

icon_lol.gif Well at least I got your attention but if I was going to smash something I would have put in cake disasters icon_lol.gif .

Thanks Doug I wouldn't of thought of using a double high sheet cake, brilliant idea and thanks for the diagram, you really do think outside the square. icon_lol.gif loved the add on too.

mallorymaid thanks for that idea I'd already run something similar by her but she was adamant she just wanted a hammer. The cake you did sounds great it would have been fun to do.

grama_j & liha21 that was the only thing I could think of that might work for her but I think she'll be happier with Doug's idea.

Thank you for all your ideas you guys really helped icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%