Red Velvet Cake.

Decorating By Justaph Updated 26 May 2008 , 6:45am by Justaph

Justaph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justaph Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:40am
post #1 of 7

Ok here it goes. So i've tried elisa strauss' red velvet cake recipe and everything is good so far except for one thing the top of the cake becomes pretty hard. especially when it hits room temperature. And this isn't just with elisa strauss' recipe it's with every red velvet recipe i've tried. i've also tried other recipes but i still get the hard top. so i was wondering if any of you guys have ran into this problem. i have never tried a recipe with Crisco shortening do you think if i used the crisco instead of the oil or butter. do you think it will make the top less hard?

Also i've baked plenty of cakes so i know im following the recipe right. it's only with red velvet do i get this hard top.

alright thanks hopefully you guys can tell me why i get that hard top (=

6 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:47am
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure if using Crisco will solve your problem, but the recipe I use calls for shortening and I've never had a hard top on my red velvet cakes. Try the Waldorf-Astoria recipe on recipezaar, it's the one I use and it comes out wonderful every time (especially with the cooked frosting...yummy!).

Justaph Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:49am
post #3 of 7

oh ok thanks i appreciate it (=. im gonna go check that recipe out Thanks again!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:50am
post #4 of 7

No prob! Hope it works for you. icon_smile.gif Oh and try baking at 325. I never bake anything higher than that and I just keep checking it until it tests done.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:24am
post #5 of 7

I've noticed that with my Red Velvet Cake too, the hardness on top. Two things that work for me are 1. Wrapping the cake in saran wrap before it is cool completely. That really helps to redistribute some of the moisture. 2. Simple syrup. I just use vanilla simple syrup and brush on the top. It works wonders!

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:28am
post #6 of 7

I've been trying out some red velvet recipes lately and my first attempt came out with a hard crust. I learned here on CC that it was because I was using dutch processed cocoa... could this be your problem?

Justaph Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:45am
post #7 of 7

wow that sounds like a good idea mjballinger i will definitely try that. oh no i just use regular cocoa powder from Trader joe's or i use ghirardelli

but i think the saran wrap or the simple syrup will work thank you so much mjballinger much appreciated (=

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%