Something Interesting I Found Out About Fondant...

Baking By diane Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 4:19am by JanH

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
13 replies
Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:15am
post #2 of 14

Good info. Thanks!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:45am
post #3 of 14

Fascinating!!! This is the first time Iâm actually thinking to myself âI can make my own fondant!!!ââ¦

I hate marshmallows, so no MMF here, and all the other fondant recipes Iâve seen are heavy on gelatin, a substance I donât really consider edible, or other bizarre additives⦠(My first two cakes were Wilton, then I graduated to Choco-Pan, then ended up buying 20LB of 3 different kinds of SatinIce based on the great feedback about it â yuk!!!, especially the black one, stunk up my pantry so bad, I had to store the pail double-bagged in the garage â so Iâm now back to Choco-Panâ¦None of that stuff ever gets eaten, in fact I often consider how easy it would be to pull it off the cake before serving, itâs just there for the sake of prettyâ¦)

But hey, cooking sugar to a soft ball stage â now THAT I can try â and I can live with the cream of tartar addition⦠Maybe the end result would actually be edible! Thanks a ton!!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:59am
post #4 of 14

I won't put meat in a cake either. Gelatin is just so gross.

Not all fondant brands contain gelatin. The brand I use is vegan. I don't make my own because its too time-consuming (and all homemade recipes I've seen contain meat).

I use about 800 pounds of fondant per year, so that would be just way too much time wasted mixing and kneading. I can't afford to spend that time on making it....or the wear and tear on my hands, arms, shoulders and back.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:19am
post #5 of 14

These recipes are generally not the same as 'rolled fondant'. Both of these are a LOT of work. If you don't like gelatin, the vegan version is much better.

Jacques Torres has a good recipe for rolled fondant on Foodnetwork. It does have gelatin (if you arent vegan) but not a lot.

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:27am
post #6 of 14

I won't put meat in a cake either. Gelatin is just so gross.

Not all fondant brands contain gelatin. The brand I use is vegan. I don't make my own because its too time-consuming (and all homemade recipes I've seen contain meat).

I use about 800 pounds of fondant per year, so that would be just way too much time wasted mixing and kneading. I can't afford to spend that time on making it....or the wear and tear on my hands, arms, shoulders and back.

where do you get vegan?

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:39am
post #7 of 14

never mind lol I so got it now...sorry it is late

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:01am
post #8 of 14

There is also the possibility of making fondant with tylose instead of gelatin.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:30am
post #9 of 14

Also interesting about "meat products"...some may surprise you...

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/ingredients_and_chemicals_that_may_contain_meat.htm

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:02am
post #10 of 14

Thank you very much..that was very informative..

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 27 May 2008 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 14

Just want to reiterate what JoAnnB said above.

These two references are NOT referring to the "rolled fondant" we use for cakes. These are for "poured fondant" a very much different substance that is used for pouring over or dipping petit fours, for chocolate candy centers and others things of that nature. The two are alike in name only!!!!!!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake

Just want to reiterate what JoAnnB said above.

These two references are NOT referring to the "rolled fondant" we use for cakes. These are for "poured fondant" a very much different substance that is used for pouring over or dipping petit fours, for chocolate candy centers and others things of that nature. The two are alike in name only!!!!!!

I am so glad you said something, because I was looking at the info and thought thats what i reading. I hope that no one prepared them thinking that they would be like rolled fondant.

TanDaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanDaMay Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #13 of 14

need recipe for rolled fondant using mini marshmallows - any help here ?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanDaMay

need recipe for rolled fondant using mini marshmallows - any help here ?

Answered your request in your other post:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6030447.html#6030447

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%