I'm So Jealous!

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 27 May 2008 , 12:09am by TC123

CharmingConfections Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 15

I'm so jealous of all of these gorgeous cakes. I wish I could do this for a living, or even had classes to take here... My cakes are just simple fondant, cake mix cakes and I read all these delicous descriptions with gnache etc and stunning cakes and I don't think I will ever be able to pull anything like it off!
Hats of to all you talented ladies!
If anyone knows of classes in Western Washington I would love to know!

14 replies
TC123 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:12am
post #2 of 15

Have you checked the internet? There are a lot of instructional DVDs and videos available these days that you can purchase. Don't forget to check out eBay! Also, try going to YouTube and typing in cake decorating, or something specific you might be looking for. You may be able to find some helpful lessons there without having to buy anything! thumbs_up.gif

Now... that said, I looked at your photos... They're really GREAT!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

ssunshine564 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:19am
post #3 of 15

I looked at your photos too, they look great!!

fondantfrenzy Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 15

yeah i know the feeling, but one thing I can say is your cakes have more favorites than mine do.... ha ha hah, dont be so hard on yourself. I think that ifyou can do what you do now, you should be able to do the other stuff, i do this for a hobby and read how all these other people do it for a livng, but you know, it was kinda nice the other day at work one lady told a coworker of mine how she was stressing out cuz this baker wasnt calling her back for her daughter's shower cake, and my coworker showed her pictures of my cakes and before I knew it she was asking me to make her daughter's cake....that was the best feeling in the world. I told her I only do this for a hobby and in no way are my cakes even close to what the baker/decorator can offer her. I guess they really wanted fondant, and i said..if you are really in a jam and the lady doesnt callyou guys back I will do it. But it did make me feel soooo good that she even considered me!

P.S. The baker called her back. icon_sad.gif It would have been a nice challenge for myself. But you know, my motto is, you either got it or you dont, I think you will be fine, just do a lot of research and practice!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ferra1 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:23am
post #5 of 15

I completely agree with you. I tip my hat icon_smile.gif , to all the bakers out there who do this either professionally or for hobby. I started baking about 1 1/2 years ago, signed up for a Wilton class, unfortunately I got somewhat sick missed some classes, some classes were cancelled (not that I knew cause I never got a call) and well my Instructor wasn't much of show me what I'm doing wrong type, it was more like "you're doing it wrong" & won't you buy some of my...(insert product here). I guess I got discouraged, I have been trying to practise, practise, practise, but I don't think I'll ever get to this level icon_cry.gif . I will keep trying, but in the meantime I will remain in awe of all you bakers. icon_smile.gif

just_for_fun Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 15

I also bake just as a hobby, dh will only allow me to take classes if I then do it for $$$, so I ask alot of ????'s on CC and I'm very slowly getting somewhere. eventually.....

bigmama1961 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #7 of 15

i think all of your cakes look great i checked out your pics..

nicolepa Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:35am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmingConfections

I'm so jealous of all of these gorgeous cakes. I wish I could do this for a living, or even had classes to take here... My cakes are just simple fondant, cake mix cakes and I read all these delicous descriptions with gnache etc and stunning cakes and I don't think I will ever be able to pull anything like it off!
Hats of to all you talented ladies!
If anyone knows of classes in Western Washington I would love to know!

Where in Western Washington are you? There are several places that have classes in this area.

mjballinger Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #9 of 15

CharmingConfections,
Your cakes are awesome! A girl on a Yahoo group that I belong to took an online class and she really liked it. Here is the link if you'd like to check it out. I think it's only $25 or so.

http://cakedecorating.onlineclasses.com/

~Jen

ladij153 Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:03am
post #10 of 15

nicholaslodge.com has some wonderful instruction DVDs that I found extemely helpful. I have all of them. They are very reasonably priced too!

Scott Clark Woolley's www.cakesbydesign.cc is also a terrific site for dvds but they are verrrry pricey, more of an investment. I'm saving to buy them as he is also a wonderful instructor.

CharmingConfections Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 15

I'm in Pierce County.. Bonney Lake area.
Thanks for the postitive comments!! I guess I feel I am such an amateur since I haven't ever taken a class... I know there are wilton classes but I wasn't sure if those would teach me more then I've already learned just from books..?
I did buy Sugarshacks flawless fondant video and it was so much help! Other then that, when peolple are talking about part of their design is chocolate molds, and part gumpaste flowers, and using gnache... I am just lost. I only use fondant. I would love of their were gumpaste courses and classes that taught all these different things besides just icing.

CharmingConfections Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarra

Have you checked the internet? There are a lot of instructional DVDs and videos available these days that you can purchase. Don't forget to check out eBay! Also, try going to YouTube and typing in cake decorating, or something specific you might be looking for. You may be able to find some helpful lessons there without having to buy anything! thumbs_up.gif

Now... that said, I looked at your photos... They're really GREAT!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Thank you! I went to look at your photos.. but for some reason they weren't letting me comment on them? I thought your gumpaste flowers looked great! And that pumpkin cake.. what a cute idea! Using the bundt cake w/cupcakes in the center!

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 15

Your cakes are charming!! I'll give you a bit of advice that some of the big names have given me -- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! (Now, if I'd only follow this advice...)icon_rolleyes.gif

CharmingConfections Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Your cakes are charming!! I'll give you a bit of advice that some of the big names have given me -- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! (Now, if I'd only follow this advice...)icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that's what makes me jelous... I don't have many oppurtunities to practice! atleast not as much as I'd like. I wish there was a club in my area, we could have tutorials, and throwdowns... that would be so much fun!

TC123 Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #15 of 15

CharmingConfections, Thanks for letting me know my settings changed! Must've been like that since the CC crash. There are some awesome ideas here I'd love to check out, too! Best wishes to you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%