Newbie: What Size Pan Should I Use?

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 26 May 2008 , 2:39am by candycakes51

LadyPol Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #1 of 2

Hello, everyone! I am quite new to CC and have a newbie question. Up to now, I have only made smaller cakes for my family's birthdays - nothing too huge or spectacular. However, my sister has asked me to make her daughter's graduation cake (which I am excited and happy to do) and I'm not sure what size pan(s) to use. I need a cake that will feed 100 people. I think for this first one I am just going to go the traditional sheet cake route (although I have been looking at the many lovely stacked and tiered cakes on here and am tempted). Is a 12x18 sheet pan what I want? Do I make two cakes and layer them? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated .... From what I've read and seen here on CC, you guys are "da bomb" and I am excited to learn from you all!

Thanks and Blessings,

Sandra

1 reply
candycakes51 Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #2 of 2

Hi Sandra,

According to the serving charts I have a 2 layer 12x18 cake pan (2" deep) will only serve 56 people.. A 14x22 will serve 64. Why not consider making a "show" cake whatever size and shape you want, then back it up with extra sheet cakes that you just use for serving. (A suggestion for your "show" cake might be a single layer sheet cake with a graduation cap made from the grduation cap shaped pan (or carved if you are that ambitious) sitting on top of the sheet cake. You could make the sheet cake one of your niece's school colors and the cap her other school color.

Good luck and have fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%