How Do I Make A Box Cake?

Decorating By audrey0522 Updated 28 May 2008 , 10:43am by gingersoave

audrey0522 Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:11am
post #1 of 5

It looks like it is a round or sq. layer cake covered in fondant and then decorted in fondant. Then is another piece of fondant put on and trimmed about 1 inch or so down to look like the top? How do you keep it from sticking to the fondant on the sides of the cake before you trim it?
To make an open box and lid, is the lid a thin layer of cake on a cake board covered in fondant? From what I have gathered it is propped open with dowels. What keeps the lid from sliding off the back. does the bottom of the cake board holding the lid need to also be covered in fondant? If so, how is that done? Any help and tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
michellesArt Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #2 of 5

oh ditto!! i'd love to make one of these-i might have to track someone down with a birthday so i can practice-there has to be someone around right?!?!lol

gingersoave Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #3 of 5

Here is a box cake I did with a lid. Is this what you are looking for?

I copied from the gals I gave credit to, so check out their cakes, they may have better instructions.

I measured each side of the cake and applied the fondant to give it more of a square box look.

The lid is cardboard with cake on top and covered the same way in fondant. I used lollipop sticks to support the back and also one large stick in the middle to prop up the lid. I transported it with no problem.

Let me know if you have more questions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1165094.html

ginger

audrey0522 Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 5

Thanks that does help. Where does the stick in the back actually go, right at the edge or further in? For some reason I can not open the pic.

Do you know how to make a fondant covered closed box?

Thanks!

gingersoave Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:43am
post #5 of 5

Check out my pics, I do not know how to copy a picture, sorry. I have a christmas open lid box and a green and blue one too.

I also have a closed box, I think its round. But I would make the cake, cover it in fondant and then either make a gumpaste lid or add a layer of fondant around the top of the box to make it look like a lid.

Let me know if you have questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%