A Cake Disaster Is Like Riding A Bike....

Decorating By bookbabe Updated 25 May 2008 , 11:10pm by becklynn

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 2

if you blow it, then you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again!! At least that's what I learned this weekend.

I promised to make a birthday cake for a two year old daughter of a friend of mine. I haven't made many cakes lately due to a pretty bad elbow injury but I'm slowly getting back into it. And this one was SUPPOSED to be simple--10 in / 6 in tier with some large lollipops as toppers (I borrowed the idea from the gallery here--thank you whoever's picture I used!!).

Unfortunately I waited too late to start the cake and ended up finishing it at midnight--not a good sign but she was planning to pick up the next afternoon after work and I wouldn't be able to work on it. I wasn't happy with the cake at all--didn't like the colors, didn't like the lettering, didn't like the lollipops.....When I woke up, I thought of some ways to tweak it to maybe make it look better so I went to get it....(the more experienced cake decorators can probably guess what happened next....)

The lollipops were very large and obviously too heavy and they pulled the top layer over and basically smashed into the bottom one. I was just short of hysterical!!! When I finally calmed down and thought, I figured I could probably fix it if I had some time. The mom was great--said she didn't need it till Sat. pm and she really wanted me to make it so I should do whatever I had to.

I was able to patch the bottom layer (and my husband said he couldn't see it so I guess I did okay!!) and then I redid the top layer. I changed the color to pink and was able to change the lettering too. I DIDN'T put the big lollipops in --I found some small ones and stood them around the top of each layer. I also put a large dowel in the center to stablize it--which I should have done the first time but it was midnight and I wasn't thinking....Anyway when the mom came to get it, she was so happy!! Said it was perfect--exactly what she had in mind. WHEW! The only thing I forgot was to take a picture! oh well....

So now I feel a little more confident about the HUGE graduation cake I promised to make for another friend........ icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 2

Good for you! When I have a disaster I want to open my back door and just throw the cake out!! But luckily we have the skills to forge ahead and figure out how to repair the damage! Sounds like a cute cake and I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%