Cake Stacking Question

Decorating By Tweedie Updated 27 May 2008 , 12:30pm by vdrsolo

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 14

So we (that would be my mom and me, we always work together) made our first wedding cake this weekend. It was just for a friend of a friend (we only do this as a hobby) and had a horrible time with the stacking.

It was three tiers, 10, 8 and 6 inches, two layers each. Pretty basic. How in the world do you get the tiers on top of each other and get your fingers out of the way? We just had to basically drop it and still ended up with our fingers in the icing.

Just curious if there is some sort of trick we don't know about so we can work on it for next time.

Thanks!

13 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 14

I leave my dowels out of the cake about 1" and set the cake on them and pull out my fingers. The weight of the cake pushes the dowels in and the dowels slow down the drop of the cake enough to get my fingers out from under.

You can also use a large spatula and a hand to place.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 14

I leave my dowels (straws) sticking up about 1/4 of an inch. I pick up the cakes with 2 large, flat spatulas - one in each hand - and lower the cake on that way. Sometimes the spatulas still scrape the top of the bottom tier, but it's usually very fmall marks that are easily fixed.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 14

Go to youtube.com and watch the video called "Assembling a Wedding Cake". She makes it looks so easy! It helped me a lot! Good luck!

Tweedie Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 14

Thank you all for your replies. I would have never thought to leave the supports sticking out a bit. And I will definitely watch the youtube video so that we know what we're doing the next time! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinea

I leave my dowels (straws) sticking up about 1/4 of an inch. I pick up the cakes with 2 large, flat spatulas - one in each hand - and lower the cake on that way. Sometimes the spatulas still scrape the top of the bottom tier, but it's usually very fmall marks that are easily fixed.

I also use my spatula to set the cakes in place. Pull the spatula out of the BACKSIDE of the cake (not the front side which will be toward the guests) so if there are any small marks, they wont' be seen.

I usually add a border or ribbon after assembly so it doesn't matter if my fingers or spatula touch ... it gets covered by the border/ribbon.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 14

I use SPS, so I sliiiide the cake into place. Yeah, no dropping it, no dowels sticking up. I slide it onto the top plate and as long as the top plate is centered, my cake will be also.

PM me with your email address if you want to receive instructinos with pictures.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I use SPS, so I sliiiide the cake into place. Yeah, no dropping it, no dowels sticking up. I slide it onto the top plate and as long as the top plate is centered, my cake will be also.

PM me with your email address if you want to receive instructinos with pictures.

I am also a HUGE fan of SPS! I have all my cakes on cake boards with the little hole already punched out and I just slide the cake onto the plastic plate. Its all centered already and is ready to go. I dont have to worry about fingers, or straws bending or any of that stuff.

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:

I bought the SPS through a decorator on another list who was putting in a big order...but have absolutely no instructions...could I also PM you for some?
Another question...have you ever frozen a decorated tier with the legs inside?I'm doing my daughter's wedding cake(my first) and will freeze the layers ,individually....did it before,and the cake was great,but I haven't tried the sps yet...
Thanks!

Tweedie Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #10 of 14

Hey leahs,
I actually received the instructions from you last week. Thank you very much. It was too late for this particular cake to try the SPS but I'm very interested in trying it out. Thanks again!

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #11 of 14

What exactly is SPS...

leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #12 of 14

Anyone who wants the instructinos and pictures, just PM me with your email. I love telling others about a "good thing".

leah_s Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #13 of 14

Ladies (and gentlemen) you have to include your email address in the PM.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

I am also a HUGE fan of SPS! I have all my cakes on cake boards with the little hole already punched out and I just slide the cake onto the plastic plate. Its all centered already and is ready to go. I dont have to worry about fingers, or straws bending or any of that stuff.

same here....I have a bunch of 1/8" masonite boards prepunched in the middle, and then just use one cardboard on top of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%