Luster Dust / Alcohol Ratio?

Decorating By christinasconfections Updated 25 May 2008 , 11:19pm by icer101

christinasconfections Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 6

I have made some MMF Balls to add to a cake but want to make them look like pearls ( look like dragees). I've searched the site and have seen info on how to apply luster dust, i.e. mix w/ vodka, but I'm one of those people who need to know amounts. I have the small bottle of Wilton's silver Luster Dust so where do I go from here?

Also, won't the alcohol have a taste or add alcohol content when eating it?...you can tell I'm not a drinker icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 6

I just add both until it 'feels' right. You have to experiment so it works like you want it. I'm sure there is not a 'set' ratio one to the other.

Most of the alcohol will evaporate, and it won't leave a boozy flavor at all.

There's more alcohol in a dose of Nyquil than what you'll use on those pearls.

leily Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 6

Also, Wilton does not make a luster dust. They make sparkle dust and pearl dust.

Sparkle dust will not work for painting with vodka b/c the particles are to big. However their pearl dust will work, but it will be a little bit of a shine instead of strong like luster dust can get.

As for how much vodka-dust. It all depends on how dark (thickness or thiness will determine this) you want the color. The more liquid the less color or more coats of dust you will need to put on. I usually start with a few drops until it starts to look right for the look I am going for.

CakeMommie Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 6

If you're nervous about using alcohol at all, you could always try putting some dust in a small plastic container and letting the pearls roll around in the dust to cover them. If that doesn't work, you might try mixing your alcohol and dust and airbrushing them. Another thing would be just to paint them individually. I always start with the smallest amount of alcohol first, because you can always add more later, and eventually, you will need to add more because it evaporates... so I don't know if measuring it will give you accurate results to begin with. Also, it depends on how "rich" you want the color to be. If you want just a hint of shimmer, add more alcohol. If you want a definite shimmer show, add less alcohol. HTH!

just_for_fun Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 6

I've never tried this, but I'm pretty sure I read that you can use clear vanilla extract instead of alcohol??

icer101 Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 6

i was taught , that after the balls have dried...... you just put them in a container or a plastic bag with some pearl dust...... shake them around..... you don,t do them all at one time.... but few at the time.. that would be lots faster than painting them with the pearl dust... i took earlene moore's class few years back and that is what we did... hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%