Cake Mix Come Backs At The Grocery Store

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 28 May 2008 , 8:05am by waywordz

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 40

I started using some cake mixes in some of my cakes, and we have been buying cake mix at Walmart...10-20 boxes at a time! (along with a dozen sour creams) Everytime we go, and I mean EVERY time, the checkout person always asked if this is for one big cake or a bunch of little cakes. We always just answer A bunch of little cakes and they then start asking is this for a party or a friend or your church, and we just want to get out of there! We started saying for our church or bake sale. Then they ask MORE questions and we just want to leave! So my DH and I decided to come up with stop asking question answers. One time he said "We are organizing a prison party and are baking a dozen cakes with files in them" Another time I said "I am on a all cake diet. I have lost 50 lbs already!"

As far as the sour cream, (yes, they ask Why are you buying so much sour cream!) my DH said one time "We bought this HUGE bag of chips and now we have to make dip to match!"

So we were wondering if you guys get this same kind of questioning when you go to buy large volume stuff at Walmart, etc? (Costco, when I buy 2 7 dozen eggs, they don't start asking questions..guess they are more used to it! haha)

39 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 40

LOVE the cake diet comeback, I'm going to have to use that if the opportunity presents itself.

Nobody has ever said anything to me except once at Wal-Mart when I bought 25 bags of powdered sugar and just happened to get around 60 cans of dog food (they were half price that day, I bought all they had). The cashier wanted to know what I was going to do with all that stuff. I told her my dog was hypoglycemic and needed a sugar boost. icon_rolleyes.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 40

I never get the third degree. I just get the, "Oh are you making a cake," question. Of course I only buy about 5 at a time, but still it's a bit "here's your sign." If I buy more, they might question it, they're a bit nosy no matter what you buy (at least at my Wal-Mart).

BTW, I love the sarcastic answers you've been giving them. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 40

I just tell them I can't resist a sale.

ATCakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 40

I just tell them I can't resist a sale.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinea

I told her my dog was hypoglycemic and needed a sugar boost. icon_rolleyes.gif

LOLOL.

cashier: "are you going to make a cake?"
me: "no, i'm going to fertilize my lawn."

(didn't actually happen, but icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 40

I HOPE they ask... it is an opportunity to give them a business card if you have one!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 40

I can totally relate...but the young checker asked those same questions and then asked if she could meet with me because she was getting married and they hadn't found a decorator.

She and her fiance were the sweetest couple and I ended up doing their wedding cake all because she was the checker when I was doing someone else's wedding cake!!

You never know when an opportunity will present itself! icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 40

I never thought of giving them a card because it might look funny that we are using cake mix instead of scratch, no?

I love the dog food one! hahahahaha!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 40

" I never thought of giving them a card because it might look funny that we are using cake mix instead of scratch, no? "

Do you think Walmart bakes from "scratch" ? icon_lol.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 May 2008 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 40

I don't buy cake mixes, but I buy so much powdered sugar, flour, etc. - they always ask what I'm baking.

I tell them I'm a pastry chef and I do cakes. I never just hand out my card unless someone is actually interested in my business - I think it's kind of pushy (I hate it when people do it to me). However, I have actually had a few people ask for it.

Take the opportunity to talk yourself up and how great the cakes you make are. icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 25 May 2008 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" I never thought of giving them a card because it might look funny that we are using cake mix instead of scratch, no? "

Do you think Walmart bakes from "scratch" ? icon_lol.gif

hahaha! I am not even sure Walmart bakes, period!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #13 of 40

At first, when I'd go thru the checkout with 25+ boxes of cake mix, all my bags of choc chips, Crisco, etc., they'd ask "Day care center?" or something. One time, a guy behind me said, 'Ok....I GOTTA ask!!!" icon_lol.gif

Everytime someone asks, I give them my card and say, "I make wedding cakes and cookies ... have a look!"

New cashiers say, "Wow, must be some be cake!" and I tell them it's a wedding cake.... I do them every weekend. Here's my card.

But now all the cashiers know me, and since I started ordering cake mixes and a few other things by the case with the grocery manager, it's ... believe it or not ... less noticeable!

If you're concerned about being seen with cake mixes (and that doesn't bother me one bit), tell them "I make cookies out of them". I buy the walmart brand choc cake mix for my choc cookies. Tried a name brand cake mix for these once and the cookies just did not work!! Cheap-o cake mix works best for my choc cookies!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:33am
post #14 of 40

LOLOL Great comebacks for nosy people. We used to make Parrot toys. You mix the coloring with rubbing alcohol. When you go buy 30 -16 oz bottles you get some strange looks, and questions.

I tell them we have to clean up after we sacrificed some animals in the back yard. icon_eek.gif Now if that wasn't bad. I had one cashier actually tell me. OH Yeah I can see why you need the alcohol. LOLOLOL

Mike

ATCakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 40

Mike--

That is kind of scary!!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 26 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #16 of 40

If you're concerned about being seen with cake mixes (and that doesn't bother me one bit), tell them "I make cookies out of them". I buy the walmart brand choc cake mix for my choc cookies. Tried a name brand cake mix for these once and the cookies just did not work!! Cheap-o cake mix works best for my choc cookies![/quote]

They sound yummy-- would you mind sharing the recipe? ( I will not be offended at all if the answer is "no" icon_smile.gif, but I thought I would ask!

loriemoms Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinprincess

If you're concerned about being seen with cake mixes (and that doesn't bother me one bit), tell them "I make cookies out of them". I buy the walmart brand choc cake mix for my choc cookies. Tried a name brand cake mix for these once and the cookies just did not work!! Cheap-o cake mix works best for my choc cookies!

They sound yummy-- would you mind sharing the recipe? ( I will not be offended at all if the answer is "no" icon_smile.gif, but I thought I would ask![/quote]

I agree, I would love the recipe!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #18 of 40

I tell them..."I'm not making cake, I'm making lasagna", then smile really big! They usually look totally confused.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #19 of 40

i used to tell them "i'm having a craving".

one of the checkers asked another one....doesn't she ever but meat or vegetables?

like i was gonna gobble up all that cake myself.

indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:04am
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

They sound yummy-- would you mind sharing the recipe?

1 pkg (18 ½ oz) devilâs food cake mix (Walmart brand is best!)
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 tbsp water - may have to increase to 2 or 2.5
½ cup shortening

Bake for 10 min at 375 (I bake at 300 in my convection oven).

When you take these out of the oven, they will NOT look done!!! The top will look "fudgy" ... but if you poke the sides, the side of the cookie should just be set.

I add water until the dough pulls away completely from the bowl. Dough should be very soft ... I tell my girls at the shop it should just "collapse like it's exhausted away from the beater .... if it falls like a broken brick wall, then you need more water".

This is a good base for lots of variations: Roll in powdered sugar before baking for "Chocolate Crackles"; add peanut butter chips; add white chocolate chips; add carmel chips (just found those at Walmart!); add carmel chips and pecans for a turtle cookie; add chocolate chips for a double choc delight. etc. etc. etc.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

They sound yummy-- would you mind sharing the recipe?

1 pkg (18 ½ oz) devilâs food cake mix (Walmart brand is best!)
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 tbsp water - may have to increase to 2 or 2.5
½ cup shortening

Bake for 10 min at 375 (I bake at 300 in my convection oven).

When you take these out of the oven, they will NOT look done!!! The top will look "fudgy" ... but if you poke the sides, the side of the cookie should just be set.

I add water until the dough pulls away completely from the bowl. Dough should be very soft ... I tell my girls at the shop it should just "collapse like it's exhausted away from the beater .... if it falls like a broken brick wall, then you need more water".

This is a good base for lots of variations: Roll in powdered sugar before baking for "Chocolate Crackles"; add peanut butter chips; add white chocolate chips; add carmel chips (just found those at Walmart!); add carmel chips and pecans for a turtle cookie; add chocolate chips for a double choc delight. etc. etc. etc.

what happens if you use butter instead of shortening?

indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #22 of 40

Doug:

Beats me. I would predict they would spread a lot more (butter creates flat, crispy cookies .... shortening creates soft, taller cookies).

These cookies already spread VERY well. Normally on my baking sheets I put 5x7 rows of cookies (35 cookies to a sheet) ... sometimes 5x8 rows (40 cookies to a sheet). With these, I do 4x6 rows (24 cookies on a sheet) so they have plenty of room to spread.

They turn out between 3" and 3.5" inches at least.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #23 of 40

hmmm... I wonder doing butter and then treating them like refrigerator cookies would do the trick on preventing spread (now if that only worked on my tummy!)

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:17am
post #24 of 40

Thanks Indy! I'm going to Walmart tomorrow just so I can make your recipe. And, I'm gonna buy loads of cake mix so I can try out some of these lines.

Can't wait!

icon_lol.gif

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #25 of 40

When I bought my first big batch, 8-10 boxes & they asked what I was doing with it & when I said I was "starting" cake decorating they asked if I wanted a job!!! Boy, they must be desperate icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #26 of 40

Thank you for the recipe! They sound YUMMY! Do they work if you use yellow cake mix and chocolate chips or nuts?

indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:

Thank you for the recipe! They sound YUMMY! Do they work if you use yellow cake mix and chocolate chips or nuts?

It's a good base recipe for any cake mix cookie.

Spice cake mix with raisins is good!!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #28 of 40

Thank you Indydebi! I look forward to trying your recipe!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #29 of 40

I LOOK for new cashiers that I have not given a card to yet. I see it as free advertising. I use the box mixes and just say something about "try mine adn you will be suprised how good that cake mix can be if enhanced correctly"

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #30 of 40

i do all the time!
why can't they just do their job. i would think that they would be happy that the store is doing good business. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%